Garmin 810 deleting courses

Legobrickman
Legobrickman Posts: 36
edited October 2014 in Road general
Does anyone have any idea why...... Whenever i save a ride back to my 810 from Garmin connect as a course it decides to delete a course already in the unit?
I rode the route i had in mind, Uploaded it to connect. Made a slight alteration to the route for next time and saved it with a name. When sending the new course to the 810 it wiped a couple off. When trying to replace the ones i'd lost it deleted others.
I don't think its a memory issue as Ive had more on there than i have now in the past.

Comments

• pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    They only hold so many files so if you can delete the ones you won't ride again for a long time, and put them back on if you need to later. Also good idea to delete old ride info
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • The 810 is capable of holding hundreds if not thousands of courses.
    You need to ensure that the course name is unique, this is not the same thing as the file name.

It is possible and in most cases highly probable that the course name is not the same as the file name.

It is probable that you are putting a course onto your unit that already exists thus over writing it. The actual file name is irrelevant.

Here is a course file called "With a different name"

Here are the contents of the file, as you can see the name is "this is a course"
    <trk>
    <name>This is a course.</name>
    <extensions>
    <gpxx:TrackExtension>
    <gpxx:DisplayColor>DarkGray</gpxx:DisplayColor>
    </gpxx:TrackExtension>
    </extensions>
    <trkseg>
    <trkpt lat="51.415314562618732" lon="-0.2852853666991" />
    <trkpt lat="51.415875982493162" lon="-0.288323303684592" />
    <trkpt lat="51.413899697363377" lon="-0.287464074790478" />
    </trkseg>
    </trk>

</gpx>
  • Makes sense but it's strange because once i realised it was deleting some to put another in i deleted everything, Courses and ride history. Reloaded six routes i normaly do and when it came to seventh....it deleted one to fit on.
    My just give it a complete reset and see what happens as the lovely people at Garmin have so far failed to get back to me with any kind of solution.
  • Do you load the gpx files to your garmins internal memory or to the microsd card?

Did you load all 7 at the same time to the newfiles folder?
  • I used the "send to device" option in Garmin connect as thats where they are all stored. it seems to send store on the internal memory.

I did try reloading them in different orders as well.
  • I used the "send to device" option in Garmin connect as thats where they are all stored. it seems to send store on the internal memory.

I did try reloading them in different orders as well.

You could try the option to download as gpx in garmin connect and download the gpx files to the newfiles folder on your microsd card.

Additionally this may be pertinent with regards to file names. Particularly the paragraphs below this (And how does it perform?)

http://www.heason.net/reviews/2013/07/25/Garmin_Edge_810_Bike_Computer/
  • Thnaks for advice, Uber dumb question...How do i "Download" all i can see in connect is the send to device option?
  • When on the course page, select the gear icon and the menu as shown pops up.

On second thoughts I may be misleading you here, it looks like you can only export activities and not created courses, now I remember why I do not use garmin connect for course creation as it is pants all round.

15489428300_778f46726c_b.jpg
  • Oh yeah, Was still in the Classic version. Im guessing its a case of export and re-name before uploading the the unit.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    There is no option to load courses into GC and to my mind, it is unusable until it has this.

But in your case, you could go to your activities list and save your rides as courses. A sync should then have them all on your devise. I'm guessing you want this to use the training partner.

GC is truly awful for creating maps. If you try to click to create waypoints like you would in RidewithGPS (the best) then GC will take you up every bridleway and footpath it can find. Avoid.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Definately ridewithgps.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D