Cheap wheel maintenance

just a nickname
just a nickname Posts: 30
edited October 2014 in Road general
Hi,

I got a cheap commuting bike. Wheels have never been servicing. Got it since at least 2009 and it has 10000+ km on it. I can feel the friction in the wheel when I hold it in my hand and let it rotate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75l937tnt813c ... 0.jpg?dl=0

Local bike shop mech. told me the wheels might need new bearing + cone. This is a cheap bike from canadian tire. I was thinking replacing the wheels but it is just not worth getting new wheels. Plus it is a 7 speed bike.

Anyway, is there anyway to know what the bearings & cones are? Is there an easy way to go (replace the whole hub)?

Cheers!

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Take it apart , clean the parts and look if they are worn out.
    If only the cones are worn replace them with new balls too and ride on.
    If the races are worn out it's time for a new hub , but it"s only economical if you can build a wheel yourself.
  • Will do thanks. I will try to do it myself, poor student I am.
  • Thank you.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    For really low end hubs like that it may not be worth replacing the balls - new ones won't like the scored internals so there's not much point. You can often greatly prolong the life of the hub by just loosening off the cones, pumping a load of new grease in, and then adjusting again.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    If the hubs are old-school adjustable 'cup and cone' type, then it is an easy DIY project - only special tool needed is an inexpensive thin 'cone wrench' - take wheel to LBS so you get the correct size.

Basically, you loosen and remove the nut, lock washer, and cone from ONE side (either) of the axle and pull the axle out of the hub from the other side. Be ready for the loose ball bearings to fall out - have a rag or paper under the hub to catch them. Wipe off the old grease and dirt from everything. If the cones / balls are badly pitted then buy new ones.
    Reassemble using generous amount of new grease (auto bearing/chassis grease is fine).
    Adjusting the tightness of the cones is a little tricky.
    When the wheel is off the bike there should be a little bit of looseness to the fit of the axle in the wheel. The looseness will go away when installed on the bike, due to tightening the quick-release skewer.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    It doesn't have a skewer......
  • Hey guys, thanks a lot for the detailed answers. I will look into that soon (Tuesday or Thursday) with picture of the cone + bearings.
    Cheers