see sense automatic lights - anyone used them?

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at getting some new lights this winter for my commuting, and early morning/evening rides.

These lights seem to have some good features on them (like changing flash pattern and getting brighter when you slow down to ensure other vehicles can see you).

I've been looking at the elite ones which are 250 lumens up front and 155 lumens on the rear, so both seem to be very bright, and can be seen in daylight.

They are £150 though (for the elite version, you can get them cheaper for less lumens).

Now, at this time of year, I would be using lights everyday so I'm focussing on quality (and brightness) over cheaper lights.

Has anyone used these? What have been your experiences with them?

Are there any other lights with similar brightnesses that I should be looking at?

Comments

• I got the Rosa Corsa edition rear - 144 lumens but the price of the lower spec. I've used it a few times on lanes around the lake district. My experience so far has been that they definitely have a significant effect on the space and consideration given by motorists. This is in daylight - I'm not confident enough in other road users to venture out in the dark with no street lights. The first time I did wonder if it was just coincidence. But its been consistently better. There's always going to be the odd pillock who will pass within a foot at 60mph, but no amount of lights etc would effect them. The amazing thing is, white audis/4x4s seem to be equally effected. ;-)

They are VERY bright. Don't look at them directly when you turn them on or you'll have flashing red imprinted on your retina for a few minutes.

Mine are the first iteration, so don't have the auto-stop/start feature that the 2nd edition have, and battery life is supposed to have been improved with the version 2 as well. I'm waiting for the email to explain how to get an upgrade. Even when switched off, the battery runs down - their advice is to charge at least once a month.

They are rather pricey. But for the additional space I'm being given, its well worth the money. Personally, I'm not so sure the front light is as worthwhile.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Guanajuato wrote:
    They are rather pricey. But for the additional space I'm being given, its well worth the money. Personally, I'm not so sure the front light is as worthwhile.

What is the quality and security of the silicon seatpost mount, any abrasion on the seatpost itself?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've just ordered a rear - not had it yet. Hopefully it will fit my aero seatpost with the use of some sugru.

I'm sure that the silicon won't mark the post - but if you get grit under it - then you might get a bit of abrasion - so I'd just put a wrap of insulation tape on the clean post.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    cougie wrote:
    I've just ordered a rear - not had it yet. Hopefully it will fit my aero seatpost with the use of some sugru.

I'm sure that the silicon won't mark the post - but if you get grit under it - then you might get a bit of abrasion - so I'd just put a wrap of insulation tape on the clean post.

Can you post a review of your impressions on here once you get your light, thanks.
  • DJ58 wrote:
    Guanajuato wrote:

What is the quality and security of the silicon seatpost mount, any abrasion on the seatpost itself?
    Very similar attachment to the lezyne femto drive I was using before. In fact, its so similar I suspect they're from the same mould. I've not used it long enough to notice any wear. But I'm riding an Alu bike - don't know if Carbon is more susceptible to wear, although it melts if you ride it in the rain. ;-)
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    cougie wrote:

agree with the above. the silicon band might be OK but the back of the light itself is very hard; a bit of scrap inner tube stuck on the back would help.
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I backed them on Kickstarter and have the Intense front/rear set (the middle tier - 125 lumens rear/160 lumens front). I liked them to start with, but found a few things about them annoying (very average battery life for starters). However mine have now had the firmware updated to version 2, and I paid a small fee to have the batteries swapped for a higher capacity version (presumably the version that ships in the current lights).

The battery life on them is now fantastic. Version 2 now supports the auto-off function, so when I get home in the evening I just park my bike in the garage and leave it. After 3 minutes they shut off and they spring back into life as soon as my bike is moved even the tiniest amount. I'm really very pleased with them.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    I'd not heard of these before, but rather like the sound of them. I'll be watching this thread to see how users are finding thm - I can sense them appearing on my Christmas lis!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you want to buy them - buy off the company direct - I'd bought from a shop so my light is the version 1.
    Apparently they'll let me send it into them for the V2 update for a small cost - but you'd be better off just buying V2 straight away.

I bought the base version light - I don't think its as bright as my Smart 1Watt light but its very visible at over 180 degree range and the pattern seems good.

Peeing down today so I'm not testing it just yet...