Garmin Connect & Calories burned?

n1ckster
n1ckster Posts: 158
edited October 2014 in Road general
Good morning,
Can anyone offer any sort of explanation as to why 2 not dissimilar rides and efforts have produced such different Calories Burned figures? Below is a screenshot of a ride yesterday and one this morning, along with a number of other metrics.

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-26%2Bat%2B11.41.56.png

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Because they're a load of nonsense.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • because of Saturn's position in relation to Venus.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Garmins kcal count is clown shoes...the closest you can get to actual kcals burned outside of a lab is with a power meter. If you think about 600-800 an hour you're on the right track.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    NeXXus wrote:

You can't have more than 100% Max HR, clearly your max HR is more than you have put into your garmin profile.
    as DavidJB said If you want to have a better idea of calories burned you need a power meter
  • I second using a PM for accurate calorie expenditure. Best way with going into a lab.
  • DavidJB wrote:
    Garmins kcal count is clown shoes...the closest you can get to actual kcals burned outside of a lab is with a power meter. If you think about 600-800 an hour you're on the right track.

More like 500kcal p/h.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    FatTed wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

You can't have more than 100% Max HR, clearly your max HR is more than you have put into your garmin profile.
    as DavidJB said If you want to have a better idea of calories burned you need a power meter
    And I'd love to be able to pedal at 190 rpm, as it thinks you did on the first ride. I think you've got some garbage going in, and some garbage coming out.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I think its fashionable to have a 'calorie counting device'. Have never quite worked out why. I think they just grab a number out of the air and double it
  • I ran Beachy Head Marathon on Saturday and my Garmin said that I burned approx 3100 calories, but the same data fed into Strava concluded that I had burned about 4150 calories.... neither are probably true.
  • DavidJB wrote:

More like 500kcal p/h.

Yeah as a v rough guide I reckon: 500 ph for a steady ride, 600-700 for a rapid ride, 800 for TT'g / racing.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    It really depends on your level of fitness and general physique. If I'm out for an hour sprint trying to avg. zone 4 I'll be 800+ p/h. However, a normal training ride of 2-3 hours I'll be more like 500. The less fit you are the more likely you are to burn more for a given task, but only up to a point.