Rear panniers: Altura Orkney vs Ortlieb Classic?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to upgrade my rear panniers from my cheap and cheerful Basil Mara to something more robust.

The "obvious" choice is the classic Ortlieb bags but at 40ltrs and looking a bit like a bin bag when in black I wondered about the Altura Orkneys that manage 56ltrs and look more like a pannier than a plastic bag.

Any thoughts?? If it helps, the capacity isnt too important to me - either is large enough.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Ortlieb Bike Packer Classic are brilliant. Waterproof, lightweight, robust, simple and effective fitting. More practical than the roll top variant. I've been cycle touring since mid 80s and have never used anything as good. Carradice cotton duck are a decent alternative but Ortlieb are more waterproof. Altura are not in the same class.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you really want robust then Carradice. Last forever and largely indestructible. Lifetime guarantee as well and infinitely repairable. And made in Britain.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    The Ortleibs have a roll top closure and no external pockets. 100% waterproof, but the huge single compartment makes finding small items a pain. If you need to find keys\wallet\phone easily without having to empty the whole pannier, then buy something with some external pockets. I did and have never regreted doing so.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Ortlieb for me.
    They have an internal pocket, for wallet/keys, phone, condoms and such stuff, so the above is a non issue
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Bike Packer Classic has a lid top not roll top and also has an internal pocket. Slightly less waterproof then the roll top, but unless you plan to wade through a river probably not a big concern. I've used a set of these (along with the smaller sport packer classics as a front set) for lots of tours and commuting and they have never let me down. The sport packer classic may be an option if you want a smaller bag. Also there is a slightly more expensive version of these that has an external pocket if you want/need it but I've never seen the need.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Rolf F wrote:
    If you really want robust then Carradice. Last forever and largely indestructible. Lifetime guarantee as well and infinitely repairable. And made in Britain.

Not getting this indestructibubble vibe off my Carradice panniers, the zips in particular seem like they're about to fall to bits. My old Ortliebs felt much tougher (sadly never got to test them fully).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Not getting this indestructibubble vibe off my Carradice panniers, the zips in particular seem like they're about to fall to bits. My old Ortliebs felt much tougher (sadly never got to test them fully).

Agree... Carradice alleged superiority is bollox... I had a saddle bag which fell apart quicker than the usual suspects. Bearded Audaxers use them cause they are British, but they're really nothing special
    left the forum March 2023
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    If money is not a consideration, then Ortlieb is always the answer.
  • rodgers73
    Ortlieb Backpacker isn't really suitable as the bags are only going to stay on the bike or move to a campsite or hotel room. I tend not to commute with any luggage so wouldn't need to carry them very far - they're going to be mainly for touring.

I have a front bar bag that I would use for smaller items rather than the rear luggage compartments (you take condoms on a bike holiday??) so a lack of internal pockets doesn't bother me.

Caradice stuff really isnt my thing - they look weird on a modern bike so I wouldn't buy them simply for that reason. I'm not convinced that canvas is more waterproof than modern plastics either.

Just cant get away from the thought that black Ortliebs look like shiny bin bags...
  • Note I said Bike Packer not Back Packer, the Bike Packers are the ones with a "lid" rather than roll top, I don't see why you would think these not suitable. They are very much a touring bag, they do come with a carrying strap (as do the back rollers), but it is just a simple shoulder strap that simply clips to the bags and is easily left at home - I don't think I even unwrapped the ones that came with my bags!).
    http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/bike/rear-pann ... assic.html
    If you don't like the finish on the classics (the shiny look), you might want to consider the "plus" versions of the various bags. These are made from cordura and don't have that bin bag look:
    http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/bike/rear-pann ... -plus.html
    They tend to have an extra external pocket (which some find useful - I don't), but they are more expensive.
  • mercia_man
    gloomyandy is right. It's Ortlieb Bike Packer you should look at, not Back Packer. I use Bike Packer rear panniers and Carradice cotton duck on the front. I like the Carradice. But in torrential rain, the contents of the Bike Packer panniers remain completely dry. That's why I use them to store sleeping bag and clothes. The contents of the front Carradice panniers eventually get wet. That's why I use them to store food, cooking stove and utensils and tools.
  • rodgers73
    I misread your post. Yes, they look good - thanks.

I also found the "Plus" version that has the non-shiny finish.

Anyone know how these stack up against the Altura dryline or Orkney bags? They're roughly the same price so I guess they must comparable in quality??
  • mercia_man
    I have an Altura Dryline rack bag. It uses a double skin construction. This is claimed to make it waterproof. I've never used it in really heavy rain so I don't know how well it would stand up. But it is a heavier and more complex construction than the Ortlieb and certainly not as robust. My Bike Packers are pretty old (I guess 15 years or more) and have stood up to many camping tours in UK and Europe. They are in British racing green and black. That shiny plastic construction is incredibly strong, light and waterproof. The mounting system is strong and reliable and they are a doddle to take on and off - much easier than Carradice. After years of leaning my heavily laden bike against rocks and rough walls, the material shows no sign of wearing through.
  • rodgers73
    Great stuff - thanks for that. A pair of Ortliebs are going on the Christmas list then!
  • mercia_man
    I'm sure you won't regret it. Some bike stuff purchases are good, some mediocre and some rubbish. Those Ortlieb Bike Packers are one of the few things that have been just perfect. I once bought some Halfords brand copies of Ortliebs. The fittings broke two days into my first holiday with them.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Ortlieb for me.
    They have an internal pocket, for wallet/keys, phone, condoms and such stuff, so the above is a non issue

It was a major issue for me I'm afraid.
    Used the Ortliebs twice for commuting then gave 'em away.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.