Which size chain? Confused....

Guile
Guile Posts: 16
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I have used the online chain length calculators and they recommend a 53 link chain but the chains I am looking at are 114 links.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling ... links#tab1

Is the '53' part of the chain model name not referring to 53 links?

I have a 9 speed cassette - biggest front cog is 52, biggest rear is 25 teeth.

Comments

• What size frame?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12994469

53 links really means 53 x 2, btw. If in doubt, just line the new chain up against the old one. You will have to chop the new chain to the right size whatever. Chains are supplied long and then cut down as bike frames vary as do cassette ranges (and chainsets). Park Tools chain brute works well in the workshop and is light enough to carry on rides.

fwiw, I recommend the KMC x9L chains. Good vfm and good performance. They also come with a missing link which makes cleaning them easy.
  • Guile
    Guile Posts: 16
    Frame size is 53cm - chainstay length is 40cm.

So if the calculator says 53 links, I can buy a standard 114 link chain and use a chain tool to take off 8 links so it will fit correctly? I don't have an old chain to compare to as this is a new build.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    I would not trust a chain calculator.
    Put the new chain over the large 52 ring and the smallest sprocket and cut the chain so that the rear mech pulleys are approx. vertical over each other.
    Works always, unless you have giant cogs rear.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Guile wrote:
    Frame size is 53cm - chainstay length is 40cm.

So if the calculator says 53 links, I can buy a standard 114 link chain and use a chain tool to take off 8 links so it will fit correctly? I don't have an old chain to compare to as this is a new build.

Yes. I would exercise a little caution though and cut the chain 1 link (2 sections) longer and see what it looked like, then trim to the perfect size. If you use the old school method (see the thread) then you can just cut at the right length without worrying about the number of links. The only downside is that if the length is then wrong you could be goosed. Bear in mind that standard links in Shimano chains have mushroom pins which must not be reused (there is a connecting pin for joining).
  • 106 links sounds about right
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles