Road disc wheels

tubbs_214
tubbs_214 Posts: 185
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Right I've got a fuji sportif disc I love the bike itself but the wheels weigh a ton. I really notice it going up hills. I'm about 14st 10 and I would ideally like something with a steel free hub so that the cassette doesn't chew it up have thought about a hand built set but I don't know much about these so what would you lot recommend either factory or hand built not looking to spend much more than 250 as they are for my winter bike.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Well, I've got Archtypes on Ultegra 6800 Disc hubs, they are SWEET!
    They'll run to about £300~
  • The chewing is very much down to bad cassette installation and iratic pedalling technique... I don't chew free hubs and know people stronger than me that don't either... however, Novatec now makes free hubs with one steel spline that go some way to solve the issue... otherwise Shimano of course are steel. As for rims, this is the next big thing...

DSC_3346.JPG
    left the forum March 2023
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My hub on the Volagi wheels gets a bit chewed. The Volagi guys said that this is pretty common. I'm not sure about bad cassette installation: fitted properly and torqued to spec - what am I missing? What counts as erratic pedal technique? That said, apart from being a bit fiddly to get the middle rings off, it's been 4 years nearly and it's still fine.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    The chewing is very much down to bad cassette installation and iratic pedalling technique... I don't chew free hubs and know people stronger than me that don't either... however, Novatec now makes free hubs with one steel spline that go some way to solve the issue... otherwise Shimano of course are steel. As for rims, this is the next big thing...

DSC_3346.JPG

Ugo, how would you compare the stans Grail to the aerion?
  • I wouldn't... never seen one in my life...
  • Ugo, have you seen the new Pacenti SL25 rims yet? http://www.evolutionimports.co.uk/shop/ ... 60751.html They seem to be a bit less expensive than the Airleron but would they otherwise be similar?
  • Ugo, have you seen the new Pacenti SL25 rims yet? http://www.evolutionimports.co.uk/shop/ ... 60751.html They seem to be a bit less expensive than the Airleron but would they otherwise be similar?

Looks nice... it's an exploding market and there will inevitably be clones. Being based in London and having the Velocity distributor at cycling distance makes it a bit easier for me to go that route...
    The Velocity seems the rim with the biggest volume, hence the most appealing thus far
  • tubbs_214
    ok how much am I looking at for a set of handbuilts I really don't know anything about rims spokes or hubs my old planet x wheels where novatec they seemed good we'll to my limited knowledge anyway. I would rather them have a normal rim I'm not to bothered about a deep rim. Would I need 24 or 28 spoke count.

Again I have no idea so any pointers are appreciated.
  • tubbs_214 wrote:
    ok how much am I looking at for a set of handbuilts I really don't know anything about rims spokes or hubs my old planet x wheels where novatec they seemed good we'll to my limited knowledge anyway. I would rather them have a normal rim I'm not to bothered about a deep rim. Would I need 24 or 28 spoke count.

28 mm is hardly deep!
    For disc wheels 200-400 is typical...
  • tubbs_214
    Ok cool see what I mean.

Looks nice... it's an exploding market and there will inevitably be clones. Being based in London and having the Velocity distributor at cycling distance makes it a bit easier for me to go that route...
    The Velocity seems the rim with the biggest volume, hence the most appealing thus far

thanks Ugo, it will be interesting to see how this section of the market develops. I am considering a disc wheel build for my commuting bike with some hubs my brother has spare - possibly DT Swiss. Considering my options with regards to rims but the archetype still seems to me to be offering the best value if you don't especially want to go tubeless.
  • thanks Ugo, it will be interesting to see how this section of the market develops. I am considering a disc wheel build for my commuting bike with some hubs my brother has spare - possibly DT Swiss. Considering my options with regards to rims but the archetype still seems to me to be offering the best value if you don't especially want to go tubeless.

Agree
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Yet to see the Pacenti SL25 rim in the flesh. Quite light at 430g or so I believe. As for spoke count tubbs_24 remember disc brake rims don't wear out so spoke life is the limiting factor for the life of the wheel before rebuilding so pic a 24 spoke wheelset if you intend to race CX but 28 or 32 spoke builds will last longer. Also don't bother with disc brake doing a lower spoke count at the front as the front wheel has to handle alot of braking loads this will cause fatigue.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    tubbs_214 wrote:

28 mm is hardly deep!
    For disc wheels 200-400 is typical...
    I think they look deeper as there's no braking track.
  • thegibdog wrote:
    I think they look deeper as there's no braking track.

True, it's the same for carbon rims

Right...
    I've got a shiny (matt actually) pair of these in front of me right now... nice rims... virtually identical to a pair of HED Belgium plus and less deep than the Aileron... a pound exactly on my scale... top notch finish of course. Stickers rather than decals... all I can say ATM... 8)
  • I've recently bought a pair of Mavic Aksium One disc wheels (£147 in Evans Cycles). They're relatively heavy at 1900 g for the pair but i must say I am impressed. I also ride Kinesis Crosslight CX V3 wheels and whilst the Kinesis are 300 g lighter, performance wise there is no difference.

Yesterday I did a 78 mile roads ride with 6500 ft of climbing on my CX bike with the Aksiums (and 28mm slicks) and they performed very well (http://www.strava.com/activities/213056168).

I defo recommend them.
  • tubbs_214
    How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking my wheels weigh 2500g I just stripped them and weighed them I was just looking at the kinesics cross lights. Hmmmm decisions decisions
  • If your asking me?

I weight 12st 5lb.
  • tubbs_214
    I weigh getting on for 15 stone. So I'm a bit unsure if my they will handle the weight. Is there a upper limit on weight for either then or the crosslights
  • tubbs_214
    Just saw mavic has a top weight of 100kg so got 5 to play with and once I've dropped this stone I put on after I broke my collarbone I'll be laughing.
  • tubbs_214 wrote:
    Just saw mavic has a top weight of 100kg so got 5 to play with and once I've dropped this stone I put on after I broke my collarbone I'll be laughing.

Mavic weight is rider + bike.

You should be OK either way, but if you plan big mileage, then I would get something a bit more suited.

Basically the higher your weight, the lower the mileage the spokes will do... you can counteract by using more spokes and/or stronger ones. Rim choice also influences spokes lifespan.
    Something built with 32 DT competition spokes will last over 10 K miles even for a heavier rider. The Crosslight probably less than half that...