Wind

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited October 2014 in Road general
It's annoying.

Here it's 23mph and gusting 39mph. Also for me it's in a unhelpful direction, there's only one road here thats directly down wind, for most part I'd be into wind or cross wind.

Do I risk it and go out on the bike or wait for a better day?

Like an addiction, it feels strange to be sitting about all week and not out cycling.
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Turbo, better than nothing. :)
  • For a moment I thought this was a thread about farts...

shame... :(
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ben@31 wrote:

You want someone else you've never met to assume the risk on your behalf? Your risk - you decide.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Where I live it's always windy. Just embrace it. There's a lot of Strava addicts who do all their efforts with a tailwind because they think segments are the be all and end all. I try and get most of my big efforts done into the wind. Doesn't look amazing come Strava time but I drop these same folk on hills, in the wind, you name it.
  • Imposter wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

You want someone else you've never met to assume the risk on your behalf? Your risk - you decide.

+1

Although I'm not sure what your problem is. With that level of wind I wouldn't even be wondering whether to swap out my deep section wheels?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ben@31
    Imposter wrote:

I've asked for an opinion or advice...What would other people do? Is there a problem with that?

This a forum for cycling advice, right?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Is it dangerous ?

If it is don't bother, a strong crosswind can put you on the opposite side of the road or in a ditch with a sudden gust.
  • ben@31
    Kajjal wrote:
    Is it dangerous ?

If it is don't bother, a strong crosswind can put you on the opposite side of the road or in a ditch with a sudden gust.

Kajjal. I wrote the original post before I stepped outside. I've now been out to my car and I soon realised it was too windy when I struggled to open one of the car doors and saw soil from the local fields is now blowing horizontal across roads in a brown-out.

As much as I love cycling and all week I was looking forward to going out today. I'll concede defeat and give it a miss. It's so frustrating as its been the only day this week it hasn't rained and its clear blue skies.
  • If it's a thermal wind and not a passing storm it will always be gentler early in the morning... worth remembering next time... :wink:
  • imposter2.0
    ben@31 wrote:
    This a forum for cycling advice, right?

So if everyone on here suggested you should go out for a ride into a wind gusting close to 40mph, you would..?? Or would you actually exercise your own discretion?
  • ben@31
    Imposter wrote:

So if everyone on here suggested you should go out for a ride into a wind gusting close to 40mph, you would..?? Or would you actually exercise your own discretion?

Imposter, I don't see how your comments are contributing to this thread?

If someone posted their experiences of cycling on a windy day on here, then I would bear in mind all the different experiences and learn from them in order to make my decision. For example, Diamonddog suggested a turbo-trainner, as it would be better than nothing. Imposter... Diamonddogs' 4 words have been more help to me than any of your own posts.
  • You asked a direct question and Imposter gave you a direct answer......
    ben@31 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Just because you don't like the answer it doesn't mean it is wrong.

IMO it is the best advice that can be given.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ben@31
    dilatory wrote:
    Where I live it's always windy. Just embrace it. There's a lot of Strava addicts who do all their efforts with a tailwind because they think segments are the be all and end all. I try and get most of my big efforts done into the wind. Doesn't look amazing come Strava time but I drop these same folk on hills, in the wind, you name it.

Yep. I've just seen on Strava that the leaderboards for segs around here have changed. Two guys were out cycling in the area today and both got 3 KOM's each . One averaged 29.5mph on a 4 mile seg :?
  • imposter2.0
    ben@31 wrote:
    Diamonddogs' 4 words have been more help to me than any of your own posts.

Diamonddog's suggestion was that you should effectively stay indoors - which is good advice. My suggestion was that you should decide for yourself and try taking responsibility for your own safety. Which is also good advice. But you don't want to hear it unfortunately.
  • ben@31
    Diamonddog's suggestion was that you should effectively stay indoors - which is good advice. My suggestion was that you should decide for yourself and try taking responsibility for your own safety. Which is also good advice. But you don't want to hear it unfortunately.

I do want to hear people experiences of cycling on a windy day. But not if you're just having a dig.

Other peoples experiences would be helpful in deciding for myself.
  • imposter2.0
    ben@31 wrote:
    I do want to hear people experiences of cycling on a windy day.

That's nothing like what you actually asked.
    ben@31 wrote:
    Other peoples experiences would be helpful in deciding for myself.

But the point I'm trying to make (not very successfully obviously, because you're clearly not getting it) is that you shouldn't need any help in concluding that riding in a 40mph gusting cross wind is not a good idea.
  • Happy Diwali to everyone... :-)
This discussion has been closed.