Boardman to Blur TR - what bits do I need?

big_chris-2
big_chris-2 Posts: 2,098
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Pondering upgrading my Boardman Pro FS frame to a Blur TR - most of my current bits will fit as far as I know but some I'm not sure about.

Cranks - curently BB30 on the Boardman and the Blur is 73mm threaded BB so assuming I'll need new cranks & BB?

Rear disc - Post mount Avid onthe Boarman and IS on the Blur, assuming I can get an Avid adaptor for this?

Front mech - need to check this out, but could it be a good time to go 1x10 if I'm replacing the cranks? If so, can I achieve this by just dropping the front mech & shifter or do I need other bits too?

Think that covers it. I'm from an era of MTB'ing where there was just one wheel size, one BB size and one brake mount type (cantilever!) so all this new-fangled stuff hurts my brain :?
Something...

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure of the fitment of the BB30, but the Shimano equivalent just need a new BB to do that.

Any adaptor, doesn't have to be Avid.

The blur would suite 1x10, use a narrow wide and possibly a guide, other than that, yes, it's just ditching the shifter and mech pretty much.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • big_chris-2
    So new BB & cranks then? Or can I get my current BB30 cranks onto a threaded BB somehow?
    Something...
  • The Rookie
    As I said, Shimano you can just buy a BB for, not sure about Truvativ.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • big_chris-2
    They're FSA cranks on the Boardman, I'll have a hunt for an adaptor if such a thing exists?
    Something...
  • The Rookie
    May not need an adaptor though?
  • big_chris-2
    I'm confused... Might there be a threaded BB that'll fit my BB30 cranks then?
    Something...
  • big_chris-2
    These are the cranks in my current bike:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... lsrc=aw.ds
    Something...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I think those cranks are compatible with Shimano Bottom Brackets so you should just need the BB.
    Not sure you will get a narrow wide chainring to fit those cranks.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    You'd need a threaded bb that fits the new frame but accepts the 30mm spindle of the cranks as hollowtech 2 etc use 24mm. Have a look at RaceFace, I believe their cinch cranks use a 30mm spindle and they probably have the right fitment although I've heard mixed things about their bb's.

This explains some of the different standards.

http://problemsolversbike.com/files/tec ... erence.pdf
  • big_chris-2
    If I can get a threaded BB to fit my current cranks then I'll stick with them and won't go down the 1x10 route.

What's this about spindles though?
    Something...
  • Antm81
    The spindle is the part connect both sides of the crank to each other that runs through the bb. Most are 24mm, bb30 uses 30mm.
  • big_chris-2
    Right, sorry being a bit special here! So can you get a threaded BB with a 30mm spindle for my FSA Comets?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race ... lsrc=aw.ds

Is PF30 the same thing as per the link above?

*Edit

Sorry just read the link you posted to BB standards... looks like BB & PF30 are much the same thing/size just bearings that differ. So the PF30 RF Cinch BB should fit the threaded BB shell on the Blur and allow me to use my BB30 cranks?
    Something...
  • Antm81
    Depends on the frame standard, not sure about the blur but I'm pretty certain other Santa Cruz bikes use threaded 68/73mm bbs so the BSA option would be the right one
  • big_chris-2
    The Blur TR is 73mm threaded - so the BSA fit is the one for the job? (sorry you're having to spell this out for me, it's starting to make sense though... :oops: )

Thinking about it obviously the PF30 isn't the one as it's press fit and not threaded! Doh...
    Something...
  • Antm81
    Yeah it should work. You may need a little more research to check chain line etc but I can't see why it wouldn't.
  • big_chris-2
    Good stuff, cheers. I've sent CRC a message asking if it'll do the job so will see what they think. Saves me buying new cranks so hoping for the best!
    Something...
  • big_chris-2
    Mods you can close this topic - no longer required. Thanks :)
    Something...