Campag only to 105

Gazzetta67
Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Bought myself a Kinesis winter frame. Like the subject says ive only ever used Campag for 30 years, but after hiring a bike in Majorca this year i found the shimano stuff quite good. ( cue the imperial march darth vader theme am i letting the side down ? :mrgreen: ) . Some good prices on the 105 groupset just now and it's a compact also as the hills are getting longer or is it i am getting older. be interested in your thoughts on this for a winter/hack bike. cheers.

Comments

• Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Can't fault 105. For the money it's a great groupset. Never had any issues even when mixing with ultegra.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Some good prices on the 105 groupset just now and it's a compact also as the hills are getting longer or is it i am getting older. be interested in your thoughts on this for a winter/hack bike. cheers.

Go for it. I've built up 3 bikes in the last 2 years - all with Shimano 105 10-speed. Can't fault it and the prices are/will be falling as the new 11-speed becomes flavour of the month. Also if you're not too fussed about everything matching you can pick up some second hand bargains on Ultegra 6700 STI's and mechs if you check the classifieds regularly.

I suffer the same affliction as you re gradients and climbing abilities. My advice is to marry up the compact chainset with a 10-speed Tiagra 12-30 cassette. A short cage (SS) rear derailleur will cope fine with that combo and you should be good to go
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    edited October 2014
    arlowood wrote:
    Go for it. I've built up 3 bikes in the last 2 years - all with Shimano 105 10-speed. Can't fault it and the prices are/will be falling as the new 11-speed becomes flavour of the month. Also if you're not too fussed about everything matching you can pick up some second hand bargains on Ultegra 6700 STI's and mechs if you check the classifieds regularly.

Prices for 5700 105 have been unaffected by the introduction of 5800. In fact, you can buy the newer groupset for cheaper, with prices around the £300 mark or even cheaper. This brings it down to 2nd hand 6700 territory and you're obviously getting brand new parts with a warrantee.

5800 is a good improvement on 5700 and also blows 6700 into a cocked hat. I don't why anyone would buy an older 10spd. Shimano groupset, unless you already have a lot of 11spd. incompatible wheels.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    105 groupset is so heavy they don't make the weight freely available, think it's around 2.7kg.
    Veloce is much lighter at around 2450g.

On the downside the campag power torque chainset is an engineering disaster, very difficult to remove for servicing even with the right equipment, if they were to improve this it would be a great groupset.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    GGBiker wrote:
    105 groupset is so heavy they don't make the weight freely available, think it's around 2.7kg.

On the downside the campag power torque chainset is an engineering disaster, very difficult to remove for servicing even with the right equipment, if they were to improve this it would be a great groupset.

Was looking at veloce but the power torque version put me off . Not too bothered about the weight as its a winter bike and prefer it a bit heavier for resistance. Cheers for the replies above also your not exactly taking a huge risk forking out £300 on a groupset than say a super record or dura ace.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    GGBiker wrote:

A full 5800 groupset comes in at around 2550g.

You're not going to notice 100g, but you will definitely notice the better shifting and braking.