cassette compatibility

top_bhoy
top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I would like to replace the cassette and chain on my commuting hybrid.

It is a Shimano HG41 8-Speed Cassette which uses the 'Hyperglide' system. This is a base model and I'd like to change it with something slightly better. One of the candidates which I am looking at as a replacement is the SRAM PG850 8 Speed Cassette which uses the 'Power Glide' system.

I suspect that both of these cassettes are interchangeable; could anyone confirm my suspicions? I propose to use the KMC X8-93 chain.

Cheers

Comments

• When it comes to sprockets, there is no better or worse... there is only cheaper or more expensive... no difference between them.
    However, you can obsess about a cassette if you wish to do so, in which case you might be able to source an 8 speed Dura Ace titanium one if you search on Ebay.... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • top_bhoy
    When it comes to sprockets, there is no better or worse... there is only cheaper or more expensive... no difference between them.
    However, you can obsess about a cassette if you wish to do so, in which case you might be able to source an 8 speed Dura Ace titanium one if you search on Ebay.... :wink:

???
    Thankfully you're not a doctor. You may have the knowledge to help remedy the initial illness but it comes with a lousy bedside manner which leaves the patient depressed. :D
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    SRAM and Shimano stuff are much the same but differing in £
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Some info here:

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12976481

However, I would start with the "Why do you want to change the cassette/chain"? question.

If you have to because performance is poor then you might want to check to see why. Is it a case of poor setup, worn chain/cassette or something else? If the chain is really badly worn then it makes sense to change both but don't look to spend too much (just look around and pick up an 8 speed bargain, they often come up) and then match with a KMC chain (which are excellent and offer good vfm).

If you just wanted a new cassette/chain because you want something better then save your money because setup is much more important than spending £20 extra on a cassette/chain combo.
  • top_bhoy
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm not talking about upgrading to SRAM Red or Dura Ace cassette.

Its a cheapo chain and it has worn to the point it is affecting shifting. The cassette is a basic cassette which shows signs of wear and it makes sense to change both together. Given that I don't think the usage has been that great (circa 1000 miles), I wasn't really wanting to do an identical swap.
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:
    ???
    Thankfully you're not a doctor. You may have the knowledge to help remedy the initial illness but it comes with a lousy bedside manner which leaves the patient depressed. :D

That's what nurses are for...
    left the forum March 2023