Difference between Canyon ultimate CF and CF SLX

Fishboyz
Fishboyz Posts: 152
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Apart from the weight which is a not a major issue for me, what the difference between the Canyon Ultimate CF and CF SLX? 900g and 790g respectively...

Can anyone comment on direct comparisons between the two? I'm struggling to justify the SLX or am I missing something?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    They are the same geometry but as you say lighter end of IMO. I was in the same position and I couldn't notice a difference in the ride between the two, I went for the CF and saved some cash.
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    The SLX has higher grade carbon which reduces the weight of the frame. The geometry is the same. There were a number of issues with the seat tubes cracking on the SLX last year with the VCLS 2.0 seat post which may have been due to the carbon lay-up - I assume this problem has now been resolved.
  • Fishboyz
    Hmmm 120g difference. As regards the ride quality any views? assume it handles identically but might be more or less stiff?
  • diamonddog
    Slightly stiffer but I doubt you would notice. There was £1600 difference between the ones I looked at one being the CF SLX with Sram Red the other a CF SL with Sram Force. I went for the Force option as the only difference was the weight and more expensive wheels choice. The changing on Red and Force is of equal quality IME.

Bear in mind when you need to replace items such as wheels to keep to the same weight/quality you are looking at a fair amount if you are looking at the higher spec ones, to replace the wheels on mine would be about £700.

The weight on my CF SL was stated as 6.75kg, when it was put together it was only 6.86kg inc pedals and cages etc so it was obviously lower than the stated weight when it arrived.
  • Fishboyz
    And the fork is identical too?
  • diamonddog
    Yes
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 125
    Have gone through the same debate myself and also came down on Sl over SLX pound for pound - or since I am in Germany, euro for euro. At my age and ability doubt I'll feel the difference so save and spend on other things.

Now then, 7, 8 or 9? What is the value for money spec? Don;t want to just go up for the sake of it so what spec gives me the best return on the spend?
    looking into the +1
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I went for the SL 7.0 as best value for the quality and components. It's been superb, got it in March, done 2500 miles on it since then, Shimano 105 groups is good enough for my riding, hard to justify extra cost for the higher end stuff, I think the canyon frame is the doggies dooda's.