Downtube shifter to Campag 10sp conversion?

celery101
celery101 Posts: 37
edited October 2014 in Workshop
I know there is a lot of stuff online about converting an old bike with downtube shifters to 7/8/9 seed STI type shifters, but I can't find anything about whether I could convert an old bike with down shifters to 10 speed Campag?

I'm about to get an old 531 frame and have a 10 speed Campag Chorus groupset that I'd love to put on it - aside from stops/guides on the downtube for the cables, what else will be required? I've never done this, will the rear wheel with a ten speed cassette on fit ok?

Apologies if this a dumb question, but any advice muchly appreciated.

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Most important question - what's the rear dropout width of the frame? For the 10 speed, you'll need a 130mm hub. good change the old frame will be 126mm or even 120mm.

If that's the case, and the frame's steel - you can get the dropout's spread to accommodate a modern wheel (cold set):

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
  • rja
    rja Posts: 78
    Can definitely be done, you need downtube cable stops

Such as

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b388s585p32418/Sunrace_Downtube_Covers_Adjusters/RS_GB?gclid=CNWhqLvBxcECFW3JtAodlF0Atw

And to cold set the frame as said above. I used the Sheldon Brown page.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Why not use the Campagnolo Record EC-RE001 downtube cable stop/adjusters. They actually look quite similar to the sunrace ones.

New wheels will be needed as well. Your old bars maybe of a shape that does not work well with modern shifters but new bars are often 31.8mm clamp diamter so a quill stem adapter will be needed 22.2mm to 28.6mm then fit a 1 1/8" A head stem for 31.8mm bars. That way you will be able to position the ergo's properly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • g00se
    Deda Piega bars will work with 26mm bars and Ergos.
  • rja
    rja Posts: 78
    Oh, and I also needed a shim for the band on front derailleur as the seat tube was a smaller diameter. Maybe included with your FD.
  • Thanks all.

So, bare with me, the Campag wheel I have with a 10spd cassette on is, effectively, probably too wide for the old 531 frame (I don't actually have it yet so can't see in practice) and the rear drop-outs/triangle will basically need to be bent to accomodate (cold set)?

The previous owner ran a Campy 9spd on it with no problem if that makes a difference?

I'm happy to buy a quill stem etc, but can't stretch to new wheels/cassette/gruppo and not sure I can fork out for the frame adjustment - I'll ask my LBS about this on the way home.

I could just convert it to a single speed, but really wanted the Chorus 10 stuff on there as I really like it (aside from the brakes, but that's another story).
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    If a Campag 9 speed fitted on that frame it sounds like you've already got 130mm spacing between rear dropouts so you won't need to cold set it. However, you may have a problem accommodating a 10 speed cassette on some frames. I do with my Alves 531 custom tourer with 130 spacing originally built to accommodate a 7 speed freewheel in 1991. I later converted to cassette hubs. Nine speed runs very close to the right seat stay so that the chain rubbed in top gear until I filed a chamfer at the bottom of the stay. It now runs fine within a hair's breadth of the stay. A 10 speed cassette is just that bit wider and won't run without the chain rubbing on my stay. Some frames already have a chamfer when originally built, however.

I use classic deep drop Cinelli bars from circa 1991 and they are fine with ergo levers. I have also found they work fine with shallow drop Cinelli bars.
  • Could I just buy and swap out a 9spd cassette then? Or are there 9 - 10 speed compatibility issues. I need a new cassette anyway and I'm not fussed about the extra gear if i can just drop a 9spd block on the Scirocco wheel that currently has a 10spd?
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    All 9, 10 and 11 speed Campag cassettes fit on the same Campag freehub. It could well be a 10 speed cassette will fit your frame without stay rubbing issues. Ten speed cassettes are just a tad wider than 9 speed ones. All depends on whether the bottom of the seat stay gives enough clearance or is rounded and protrudes like mine.
  • g00se
    celery101 wrote:
    Could I just buy and swap out a 9spd cassette then? Or are there 9 - 10 speed compatibility issues. I need a new cassette anyway and I'm not fussed about the extra gear if i can just drop a 9spd block on the Scirocco wheel that currently has a 10spd?

No, you'll need 9 speed levers too. But like it's been said, if there was a 9 in there before, there's a good chance 10 will work.
  • Ok - I'm just going to hope if the 9spd worked the 10 will too and, if not, check out getting it widened to accommodate. Should get the frame in next few days, will post pix (if successful). Cheers for the advice all.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    I have old Cinelli Criteriums on all my bikes - not a problem with the ergo levers.

My Battaglin (Columbus tubing) just took 9 speed and no more, wish you luck with the fitting but Reynolds is quite soft :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Ok, apparently it has 128mm spacing and also took a 9spd, so hopeful the 10 will fit...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    2mm is not a lot and you do own a file?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    celery101 wrote:
    Ok, apparently it has 128mm spacing and also took a 9spd, so hopeful the 10 will fit...

8/9/10/11 speed is all 130 mm,,,,,
  • Keezx wrote:
    celery101 wrote:
    Ok, apparently it has 128mm spacing and also took a 9spd, so hopeful the 10 will fit...

8/9/10/11 speed is all 130 mm,,,,,

The same frame has had a 9spd so hoping 10 should also be ok. If not it becomes a SS.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    You did quote my statement but you don't believe me?
  • Eh? I did quote and I do believe you. I was pointing out this frame has had a 9spd on already (perhaps it has already been 'cold set').
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The problem with bars and ergo levers depends on how fussy you are about the postion. All bar and ergo's will work but not everyone will like the postion that results on some bars.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.