First road bike via Cycling Scheme, Plz advise!

farazfastian
farazfastian Posts: 6
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Budget up to £900 via cycling scheme
Size small or 52
Interested in Shimano 105 or sram rival
I've short listed following so far which are available:

1) HOY Sa Calobra .003 2014
2) Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano 105 or sram rival

Please advise!

Thanks
Faraz

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Not sure about the bikes you have listed, however this is an alternative:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p526 ... RIPLE-2013
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Pro Carbon, vgood bike and vgood vfm IME.
  • letap73 wrote:

Thanks, good option! but i thought better to avoid triple and go for compact?

Faraz
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Out of the two Faraz, I'd go for the PX Pro Carbon - I saw one in the flesh for the first time a months or so back, and was quite impressed. They also review well. Not the lightest though, but light enough.

Where did you see it for £900 btw, the website has them for £999?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    letap73 wrote:

Thanks, good option! but i thought better to avoid triple and go for compact?

Faraz

There nothing really wrong with a triple, I have both and both have their strengths and weaknesses.
  • so Pro Carbon with 105 or Rival?
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    so Pro Carbon with 105 or Rival?

Personal choice really, both good but they have a different feel. Any way you could try them out and see which you prefer?
  • diamonddog
    I prefer the SRAM shifting to the Shimano but as mentioned by above it's personal choice as both are good groupsets.
  • I've heard sram wears less but shifting is not smooth, is that correct?

dont think i've try option most likely i'll go with sram.

thanks
  • diamonddog
    I have 10 speed Rival on one bike and 11 speed Force on the other, both change nice and smoothly with the 11 speed Force being slightly smoother. If the Pro Carbon with the new 11 speed Rival is the option you are looking at then it should be as smooth as Force or Red when changing as it comes with the yaw front derailleur.

With regards to Shimano wear and tear my turbo bike has a lower end Shimano groupset on it and does a few thousand miles throughout the year, the only thing I have had to change in the last 2 years is a front derailleur cable.
  • Thanks Guys, gone for pro carbon it's arrived just now.
    Can't wait to go home and try it out!

Faraz
  • All this bolleaux about Shimano wearing faster than Campag or SRAM is....bolleaux.

I've still got several first generation Ultegra components on my winter bike, and they show little signs of wear.

One of my bikes also has SRAM Force. After stripping it recently, I'm shocked as to how much pitting/ corrosion there is on certain parts (this is a summer bike barely even ridden in wet)