New Groupset Giant SCR 3.0

faarn
faarn Posts: 52
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have recently started to bike more regularly, about 3 times a week. I am hoping to start to do some racing but nothing too serious.

I bought a Giant SCR 3.0 quite a few years ago and have been more than happy with it but the front Derailleur is broken, I have done a make shift repair but it really needs replacing. The question is with what? I am not too keen on the thumb shifters (sora) so thought it may be prudent to change these at the same time, in essence a whole new groupset (doesn't have to be shimano). I don't really want to spend more than £400 and from this would need a new groupset and possibly wheels? What are peoples thoughts, is it worth upgrading the Giant or paying more and getting a new bike?

Thanks

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Do you need a new set of wheels or are you thinking of buying wheels so they're compatible with new 11 speed groupsets?

Tbh, you'd do well to get a decent set of wheels and groupset for £400. You could probably get a 10 speed Tiagra groupset for £250 but not sure most would see a £150 set of rims as much of an upgrade.

Or you could get a set of Campag Zonda's for £260 (which most on here rave about), new Sora/Tiagra shifters (would probably also need cassette and chain too if your currently running 8/9 speed) and new front mech with a little change left from £400.

In the past year I've upgraded wheels and groupset - wheels from stock Ritchey rims to Mavic Cosmic Elite and groupset from Tiagra/105 5600 mix to full 105 5800. Wheels, despite retailing for £300, didn't make as much difference to the bike as the groupset did - groupset transformed the feel of the bike, changing gear is much smoother and braking is much more powerful. However, neither upgrade has made me faster.
  • faarn
    Thanks for the reply, I was only thinking of changing the wheels to be compatible with new 11 speed groupsets. I don't expect to be any quicker but a smoother change would be nice. I'm not fussed about saving weight with the lightest parts, if I really need to I could lose a couple of kgs myself and it would be far cheaper!

I've had a search but can't find anything to say if the tiagra 10 speed would be compatible with my existing wheels, i guess the other argument is to spend the extra, go 11 speed and potentially future proof myself but then I am in the new bike territory as per

What Bike to Buy with a £600 Budget
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I'm pretty sure 10 speed cassette's are the same width as 9 speed, so should work. I think it only changed with 11 speed although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

If you were to get a new 11 speed bike you'd pay more than £600 (closer to a grand) and even then you'd probably end up with entry level wheels - you'd be paying for the groupo and frame. The bikes in that link for £600 with 105 are 10 speed which you could buy for about £350.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Ribble are doing the Tiagra 4600 10 sp groupset for £220, so that would leave you with £180 to play with for wheels. Mavic Aksium are decent wheels for the price, I got a new pair for £150 from Decathlon a few months back.
    Saying that, Sora now no longer has thumb shifters for the 3500 9sp groupset, but there is only about £30 difference between Sora and Tiagra at Ribble.

Their warehouse is curretly out of stock but some stores may have them - plus I think if you shop around you can find them at around that price elsewhere. They aren't the lightest set, but I've been riding them for a few years and not had any problems with them.
  • stash36
    stash36 Posts: 31
    Cheaper option would be replace the deraillier with a like for like Sora, and get some newer 2013 onwards Sora shifters, they are a huge improvement on the old thumb shift model. On the auction site you will get a decent pair for £50-60, and then sell your other ones for £20 back.
    There's absolutely loads on there as so many upgrade to 105 / Ultegra etc.

For silky smooth gear changing, replace your cables and chain if its done > 2000 miles
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Beware that with the SCR frames, you will need 57mm drop brakes. That aside, the frameset is still a very good one, and worthy of a decent groupset.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • faarn
    Thanks for all the suggestions, greatly appreciated. Leaning towards the Tiagra groupset from Ribble. They currently have 13% off (not including groupsets) but you can buy the bits separately and get the discount.

SCR Pedro, thanks for the tip about the drop brakes too, hadn't realised but presume I can use the existing.
  • SCR Pedro
    faarn wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestions, greatly appreciated. Leaning towards the Tiagra groupset from Ribble. They currently have 13% off (not including groupsets) but you can buy the bits separately and get the discount.

SCR Pedro, thanks for the tip about the drop brakes too, hadn't realised but presume I can use the existing.

Yes you can. But they're not great. Even with good pads. If your budget fits, you could upgrade to R650 calipers, which are as good as it gets for 57mm drops.
    Although, the SCR does not need the full 57mm, quite a few less, actually. If you are up to it, then a bit of tinkering could make a pair of standard drop calipers fit. It's a gamble, though.
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • faarn
    Will add the R650 calipers in then. Final set up is as per the Tiagra groupset but with the R650 calipers. I am going for the 12-28 with the double front 175 39/52. Two quick questions

1. Do I need the English Bottom Bracket?
    2. should I get the medium or short Derailleur?
  • SCR Pedro
    The standard BB is 68x113 square taper, English. It is easy to change to Hollowtech II style. I gave the outer shells of mine a smoothing over with some sandpaper before installation. It's easy work.
    A short cage should work perfectly fine for you. I was previously running a Tiagra groupo with a 105 rear derailleur, and it worked perfectly.

I still have my SCR frame in a box under my bed. I think I should convert it to a CX ride :D
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • faarn
    Just ordered with the R650 callipers and short Derailleur from Ribble. Came in under £200 so very happy, still change left over to buy the tools to fit it all!

Thanks for all the help on this one.
  • faarn
    New groupset all fitted, my first attempt but wasn't too hard (apart from cutting the cable housing). Now looks far shinier so I must be quicker.

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg