Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Fallen off - no longer a biking virgin?

seajaysseajays Posts: 330
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
OK - so I fell off the bike. Low speed, no real damage to me or bike - much more embarrassing than anything else! Does that mean I'm no longer a biking virgin? :D Or is it like horse riding where you have to fall off at least five times before you're considered a rider (which I've nicely exceeded!)? :lol:
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Posts

  • itboffinitboffin Posts: 19,932
    When you've had multiple operations then you're defo no longer a noob.

    Best to try and remain a noob for as long as possible.
    Rule #5 // Harden The censored Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • seajaysseajays Posts: 330
    You guys set the bar high.

    I've done my first thousand miles as well... does that count? :D:D
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • daddy0daddy0 Posts: 686
    Can you bunnyhop, endo, wheelie, skid? :D

    I'll consider you a proper cyclist once you've done a 100 miler. ;-)
  • seajaysseajays Posts: 330
    lol - way to crush my hopes. :lol:

    As a consolation to myself however, this is what I look like* when horse riding:
    conan_the_barbarian_horse_a_p.jpg

    *…in my mind
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • crakercraker Posts: 2,060
    Anyway, 100 miles qualifies you for nothing. If you haven't done a pair of 400k audaxs in winter back to back sleeping in bus shelters getting up half an hour before you go to sleep eating hot gravel as you go. That's when you're a proper biker.
  • Kieran_BurnsKieran_Burns Posts: 10,052
    I thought Hospital visits for bike related injuries was the qualification? Anyone can do a 100 mile ride (might take a day or two) but you've not reached the elite status until you've crashed so spectacularly you bring the road to a complete standstill.

    (A34 Stafford. Full on hand stand on the handlebars resulting in a broken left wrist and a right arm that looked like mincemeat, it's amazing how far you slide)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • daddy0daddy0 Posts: 686
    craker wrote:
    Anyway, 100 miles qualifies you for nothing. If you haven't done a pair of 400k audaxs in winter back to back sleeping in bus shelters getting up half an hour before you go to sleep eating hot gravel as you go. That's when you're a proper biker.

    You had hot gravel - luxury!
    (A34 Stafford. Full on hand stand on the handlebars resulting in a broken left wrist and a right arm that looked like mincemeat, it's amazing how far you slide)

    Try doing that when you're orbiting at 12ft. Its amazing how much time you have to think "its going to hurt when I land this".

    :wink:
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 5,757
    Daddy0 wrote:
    craker wrote:
    Anyway, 100 miles qualifies you for nothing. If you haven't done a pair of 400k audaxs in winter back to back sleeping in bus shelters getting up half an hour before you go to sleep eating hot gravel as you go. That's when you're a proper biker.

    You had hot gravel - luxury!
    (A34 Stafford. Full on hand stand on the handlebars resulting in a broken left wrist and a right arm that looked like mincemeat, it's amazing how far you slide)

    Try doing that when you're orbiting at 12ft. Its amazing how much time you have to think "its going to hurt when I land this".

    :wink:
    I had a face to face meeting with a pavement after hitting a kerb. In the few moments between realising I was going to stack it and when I actually hit the kerb, I actually started laughing.

    The multiple trips to the dentist and the cost of 3 crowns and 1 veneer were no laughing matter however!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
    Tall....
  • itboffinitboffin Posts: 19,932
    Seajays wrote:
    You guys set the bar high.

    I've done my first thousand miles as well... does that count? :D:D

    thousand in a month, nice work welcome to the club 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The censored Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Mikey23Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Youre only a real cyclist when you been for a ride in a nee nah and stretchered into a fully staffed operating theatre...
  • Agent57Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Daddy0 wrote:
    I'll consider you a proper cyclist once you've done a 100 miler. ;-)

    Man! I passed my cycling proficiency test in the 1970s, and have ridden on the roads ever since. Paper round, to school, to work, to the shops, for recreation, and time trials... But I've never done more than about 70 miles in a day. So even after nearly 40 years, I'm still not a proper cyclist. :(
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffinitboffin Posts: 19,932
    Agent57 wrote:
    Daddy0 wrote:
    I'll consider you a proper cyclist once you've done a 100 miler. ;-)

    Man! I passed my cycling proficiency test in the 1970s, and have ridden on the roads ever since. Paper round, to school, to work, to the shops, for recreation, and time trials... But I've never done more than about 70 miles in a day. So even after nearly 40 years, I'm still not a proper cyclist. :(

    oof the the truth hurts eh! :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The censored Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 5,757
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Youre only a real cyclist when you been for a ride in a nee nah and stretchered into a fully staffed operating theatre...
    I should have got into an ambulance to the hospital, but I manned up, cycled home and went to hospital the next morning instead...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
    Tall....
  • elbowloh wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Youre only a real cyclist when you been for a ride in a nee nah and stretchered into a fully staffed operating theatre...
    I should have got into an ambulance to the hospital, but I manned up, cycled home and went to hospital the next morning instead...

    Ah but you didn't miss out on a helicopter ride! if i'd waited 6 months or so I could of had a air ambulance! that would of given the deer a fright! though since i have amnesia both before/during/after the event I wouldn't of remembered any how.

    I have ridden over 100miles, as others have said just a matter of fueling and pacing. i'm more proud of long MTB rides in the hills in midwinter ie fairly snowy/icey.
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 5,757
    elbowloh wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Youre only a real cyclist when you been for a ride in a nee nah and stretchered into a fully staffed operating theatre...
    I should have got into an ambulance to the hospital, but I manned up, cycled home and went to hospital the next morning instead...

    Ah but you didn't miss out on a helicopter ride! if i'd waited 6 months or so I could have had a air ambulance! that would have given the deer a fright! though since i have amnesia both before/during/after the event I wouldn't of remembered any how.

    I have ridden over 100miles, as others have said just a matter of fueling and pacing. i'm more proud of long MTB rides in the hills in midwinter ie fairly snowy/icey.
    Friend of mine got airlifted after a fall earlier this year in Yorkshire - 2 broken vertebrae! She's (just) back on the bike now and rode with Marianne Vos yesterday.

    100 miles? Pah, did a 160mile ride in July! :wink:
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
    Tall....
  • verminvermin Posts: 1,739
    Err, gravel for breakfast, anyone? :wink:
  • InitialisedInitialised Posts: 3,047
    If you needed an X-Ray or stitches it counts?

    Have you had your last clipless moment?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 5,757
    If you needed an X-Ray or stitches it counts?

    Have you had your last clipless moment?
    I had a tooth embedded inside my top lip (and healed over) for 2 weeks before I or anyone else realised....
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
    Tall....
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,115 Lives Here
    Ah but you didn't miss out on a helicopter ride! if i'd waited 6 months or so I could have had a air ambulance! that would have given the deer a fright! though since i have amnesia both before/during/after the event I wouldn't of remembered any how.
    I would have hung around a bit longer for that, rather than just making off with your bike. At least they would have been able to land right next to you.
    I think I've ticked all of the boxes mentioned above on more than one occasion. Does that make me really good or just a fool that doesn't learn from his mistakes?
  • Mikey23Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Metal plate in shoulder makes me popular at airport check in time... Not led to a gloved search yet though
Sign In or Register to comment.