Carbon Frame Trek Domaine

postie90
postie90 Posts: 53
edited October 2014 in Road general
Ive recently bought a trek domaine carbon frame, my 1st road bike.... i treat my bikes like my car always kept spotlessly clean, is there any dont`s regarding cleaning a carbon frame? what about protect for the frame from the elements, may be a wax? and tips or advise would be great.... thanks....

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Carbon's pretty tough stuff. I just wash mine from time to time with warm soapy water. I suppose you could treat it to a waxing if you're that way inclined; I've never considered it as mine's a matt finish so I don't really want shiny bits.

If you have an alloy seatpost in a carbon frame (or indeed the reverse) I'd suggest a light smear of carbon assembly paste a) to prevent slipping and reduce the torque needed to adequately tighten the seatpost clamp, and b) to reduce the likelihood of them becoming stuck due to corrosion of the aluminium. Especially important if you're riding in the wet without mudguards, and flinging mucky, sometimes salty water up the back of the seatpost.
  • If it's a gloss frame then Mr Sheen all the way!

If it's a matte or 'waxed' carbon frame then some car waxes can be used.

I only use Muc Off on my winter bike and MTB, the rest of the bikes are cleaned with warm water and a soft cloth - nothing else. Although any stubborn oil or tar spots are removed with Park Tool Chain Brite then wiped with a wet cloth.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    postie90 wrote:
    Ive recently bought a trek domaine carbon frame, my 1st road bike.... i treat my bikes like my car always kept spotlessly clean, is there any dont`s regarding cleaning a carbon frame? what about protect for the frame from the elements, may be a wax? and tips or advise would be great.... thanks....
    Learn to spell the name of the bike you've bought would be my advice. Its written on the downtube. :D
    Nice bike btw, I hired one in france in the summer.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Also it helps that its an anagram of Madone, and that new one Emonda ? They must be running out of them by now ?
  • t4tomo wrote:
    postie90 wrote:
    Learn to spell the name of the bike you've bought would be my advice. Its written on the downtube. :D
    Nice bike btw, I hired one in france in the summer.

t4tomo good point lol..... id just finished work & had beer :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cougie wrote:
    Also it helps that its an anagram of Madone, and that new one Emonda ? They must be running out of them by now ?

Naaaaah

Mondae
    NoDame (not available in WSD)
    Nomade
    Daemon
    Damone
    Endamo
    EdnaMo (with special edition Simpsons graphics)
    Modane
    Emoand
    Medona
    Mendoa
    Menado
    NoEdam (not available in Holland)
    OnEdam (available in Holland)

....and many more. Unfortunately.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Naaaaah

Mondae
    Nomade
    Daemon
    Damone
    Endamo
    Modane
    Emoand
    Medona
    Mendoa
    Menado

Moaned
    Onmead (for the audax crowd)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Mine has done nearly 6000km now. Cracking bike, very sturdy
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Rolf F wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Naaaaah

Mondae
    Nomade
    Daemon
    Damone
    Endamo
    Modane
    Emoand
    Medona
    Mendoa
    Menado

:D
  • Paul 8v wrote:

What, you mean it's got lots of cracks? That can't be good! :wink:
  • Paul 8v wrote:

Paul... have you the original gearing? i love the bike but am finding the gear changing very hit and miss... not like compared to my other bikes.... was thinking off running it through the winter then may be upgrading? although saying this I've got to return it for its 4 week check up so will mention it see if they can align the gears better...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    It's Shimano it should run like clockwork (Mine does) If it was like that from the start it wasn't set up properly, if it's done that over time it's just stretch and everything bedding in, quite normal.

I fitted an Ultegra cassette on my fancy wheels and kept the Tiagra on the old ones for winter work. There's no discernible difference in the quality of the shift but the Tiagra one weighs about as much as a boat anchor!
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    postie90 wrote:

I use a car wax on my matt Cayo Evo. As long as it's just a wax and contains no cutting compounds, then it's absolutely fine to use. I use Collinite 476S and it's superb. I went out in a three hour ride in the rain today and coupled with Crud Road Racers, all the bike needed was a wipe down with some baby wipes.

IMAG2962_zps6f72e4fb.jpg

IMAG2960_BURST004_zps654ce689.jpg