Fast/light touring frame and wheels

remedy_7
remedy_7 Posts: 179
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
I am looking for a road bike frame that I can put a rack on, for fast touring. Grande Alpes Geneva - Nice. Trans Pyrenees etc.
I have a Canyon carbon bike. I will use the parts from this and just change them back and forth when needed. Which is what I do between my full suss and hardtail mountain bikes.
The main requirement is bosses for a rack and maybe mudguards whilst keeping the bike light for all the big alpine climbs. Also to remove the luggage and have a nice light bike.
I am not sure if my wheels will be strong enough - Mavic Ksyrium Equipe. Hitting a pot-hole with panniers and I'm 92kg. Any opinions on this? Recommendations?

Been looking at the Lynsky frames on Chain Reaction. Bit surprised that their XL frames are 57-58cm. Which seems a bit small for a XL. My Canyon is 64cm. I am very tall. All legs.
I am assuming that titanium is the way to go. Light frames with rack bosses are hard to find.

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Paul Hewitt does a carbon Audax frame. Genesis do a Ti frame (Gran Fondo?)
    M.Rushton
  • remedy_7
    Just been looking at the Kinesis 4s frame. £500 ish. Titanium seems to be very expensive for not much weight saving over aluminium. I know there are other benefits though.

Also realized that I will need to get longer drop brakes for a mudguarded sized frame.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    edited October 2014
    Cheap titanium has no weight benefits over aluminium, but has other qualities
    2 Years ago I had a custom titanium frame made in China, it weighs 1500 gr. (without fork)
    Cost me 680€ incl. shipping, bank fee and taxes, still very happy with it.
    I was looking in Europe for a custom frame and couldn't find anything under 1000€ (regardless material) so after some research I decided to go the China Route.
    Why go for alu or steel when I could get titanium for less money?
    Dealing with the Chinese is an adventure by itself and a bit of gambling....but I'm in the postion that I will not die if it goes wrong.
    Turned out very good and I would not hesitate to do it again.
    A huge advantage is that they will make anything you like also with the details for dropouts, headset, BB, eyes for fenders , disk brakes , whatever you like.
    Standard titanium is on the weak side (not stiff) for tall people but it can be adapted by larger tubes, wallthicknesses and so on.
  • Yourself + panniers + bike = 110-120 Kg... is it worth getting hung up on plus or minus a pound in the frame weight?It's less than 1%.

Wheels: I have built two sets of Ultegra + Open PRO 32 for a couple who did the coast to coast Boston-San Francisco and they were very happy indeed. In your case I would recommend to go all the way to a 36 rear.

You can read about 60 Km long ascents to a pass in the Rockies at 3800 mt elevation here :wink:

www.justridingourbikes.com
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    M.Rushton
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    If it's proper fast/light touring, forget the rack and just run with a Revelate Viscacha or similar.

Even a Tubus Fly is like 300g

It'll keep your kit to what you need rather than what you think you'll need.
  • By the time you add a fork to those clearance Lynskey's you're still looking at some serious money.

How about Condor Fratello, Shimano 105 (or Apex) and some handbuilts? Won't be far different in price and easier than faffing around.

Or, even cheaper, Genesis (new) Equilibrium disc (plus the above).
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Fratello is a good answer - light and fast enough for hard touring. Used mine for some fast touring, in big mountains as well. Comfy for quite long days in the saddle.
  • remedy_7
    I know all the luggage means that quibbling over 500g is meaningless. But the idea is to strip it down afterwards and still have a light bike to race up Ventoux (The triple for next year).
    I've just finished a cycle tour in Morocco. I used my mountain bike with panniers. It was perfect for that trip. But I just sat down and churned out the miles. For light touring I want to be able to get out of the saddle and sprint finish the summits. If you know what I mean? Luggage will be light. Sleeping and toothbrush only.

Viscacha/saddlebag- this is another option. I've been looking at putting my sleeping stuff on the back of the Canyon but I think it would mean re-buying a lighter camping set-up. A lighter sleeping bag and bivi than I already have. Maybe a Rab Quantum/Neutrino 200 and a Rab bivi. Probably work out the same price but would keep the weight down.
  • remedy_7
    MarcusJB
    Okay. Going to try your way first. I can't use the Viscacha as it mounts too high. My saddle is very high, size 64cm frame. That means the weight is too high and will off-balance me. Will try to find something that holds the weight closer to wheel. Rab Neutrino 200 xl arrives this week, so that will be half the size of my present sleeping bag (and half the warmth).
  • Remedy 7 wrote:
    The main requirement is bosses for a rack and maybe mudguards whilst keeping the bike light for all the big alpine climbs. Also to remove the luggage and have a nice light bike.
    I am not sure if my wheels will be strong enough - Mavic Ksyrium Equipe. Hitting a pot-hole with panniers and I'm 92kg. Any opinions on this? Recommendations?

In general Mavic communicate a 100kg weight limit including rider and equipment for the Ksyrium Equipe. Whilst they have seen situations where this weight has been exceeded (both in testing and the real world) with no concern it is worth bearing this in mind. A lot of it may come down to your riding style and the quality of the roads you'll be on. Some riders are particularly hard on equipment while others can ride for seasons with the same kit with little worry. If you know that you fall into the former category and are seeking extra strength than well built box section rim (something like an Open Pro) with additional spokes (32 or up to 36 on the rear) could be a consideration. There are many knowledgeable folk on the forum that can give you more specific advice on this such as Ugo.Santalucia.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Mike Cotty
    Mavic Community Manager
  • remedy_7
    Cheers Mike.
    I was thinking about getting a stronger back wheel. Don't picture it - but I am 93kg naked. So getting very close to 100kg with clothes, tools, water etc.
    I am a very careful rider, I save the rough stuff for mountain biking, but I do a lot of night riding when I tour. This has always resulted in hitting a pot hole once in a while. I will check out the names you mentioned.
  • remedy_7
    Finally got round to getting a frame.
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13067186