Help - My Specialized Hardrock 2009(?) overhaul

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening All,

I need some help here.

I am trying to sort out my 'old' Hardrock (completely standard 7/3 speed) make it good and keep it in our holiday home etc.

I am going to change:
- cassette plu chain to this : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram ... prod127734

- chainset to Shimano Deore M590: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds

- front shifter is knackered so new one, like for like, is on its way (sram x3);

1) Would the above work together and is the chainset complete with BB and ready to put on straight from the box ?
2) I am also thinking (maybe not necessary) of upgrading brakes from mech to hydro - what make / model should I look for (can be second hand no more than 60-70quid a set)
3) if I upgrade brakes do I need to change the rotors as well ??

Many thanks
Chris

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Shimano Deore for brakes, should be able to get them new for about £70, rotors will be fine, may need new adaptors depending on rotor size/mount standard etc.

I'd expect the crankset to come with a bb, frame may need facing though. Can't see why they wouldn't work together despite the cranks being 9 speed. I may be wrong though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are you sure it's a 7 speed cassette and not a freewheel?

9 speed cranks will work fine with the 7 speed rear.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    Are you sure it's a 7 speed cassette and not a freewheel?

9 speed cranks will work fine with the 7 speed rear.

No, I am not sure Rookie, will double check over the weekend.

Thanks for comments guys.

Chris.
  • kinioo
    Antm81 wrote:
    frame may need facing though.

Sorry Antm81 what is that mean??
  • The Rookie
    When you fit an external BB setup like that Deore, you have to make sure the BB shell in the frame is square (otherwise the bearings sit at an angle and don't last long), you do this using a tool that machines the faces square, that is facing.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    When you fit an external BB setup like that Deore, you have to make sure the BB shell in the frame is square (otherwise the bearings sit at an angle and don't last long), you do this using a tool that machines the faces square, that is facing.....

Many thanks again Rookie, yes I have googled it !! Good to know.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Personally, I wouldn't change the brakes - as it's a bike for occasional use only, I think you'll find cable cope better with neglect (no seals to dry out, etc) and you won't have to worry about turning up at your holiday home and finding that your hydraulics need bleeding before you can ride.

If the existing ones don't have enough stopping power, you could simply fit bigger rotors or maybe try better callipers (something like Avid BB7).
  • kinioo
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Personally, I wouldn't change the brakes - as it's a bike for occasional use only, I think you'll find cable cope better with neglect (no seals to dry out, etc) and you won't have to worry about turning up at your holiday home and finding that your hydraulics need bleeding before you can ride.

If the existing ones don't have enough stopping power, you could simply fit bigger rotors or maybe try better callipers (something like Avid BB7).

Yes, I said I might be changing them but not necessary.
    Thank You for your comment you are absolutely correct - it might be not worth it.

Guys, regaridng chain set I am thinking of (Shimano Deore M590) and based on the discussion above re: facing etc...is there any other option for alternative make/model of the chain set, which fits differently (i.e. no external BB) and still will be an improvement in terms of quality/weight ???

Again,

Many thanks,
    Chris
  • The Rookie
    Shimano Octalink.......or Truvativ Powerspline, if dropping to that I'd look for a decent used set, big saving.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    kinioo wrote:
    Guys, regaridng chain set I am thinking of (Shimano Deore M590) and based on the discussion above re: facing etc...is there any other option for alternative make/model of the chain set, which fits differently (i.e. no external BB) and still will be an improvement in terms of quality/weight ???

Nothing wrong with good old square taper - I've got an old Shimano LX square taper crankset, and even with the bottom bracket added on, the total weight is 100g less than that Deore one you've linked to.
  • The Rookie
    My old LX with BB (about 300g) was a lot heavier than an HT2 Deore....