Canyon dilemma

big_chris-2
big_chris-2 Posts: 2,098
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Pondering a Spectral AL now they do it in XL for all 6'4 of me. Torn between two models though:

Canyon Spectral AL 6.0
Canyon Spectral AL 7.0 EX

The differences aren't huge so is the 7.0 EX worth the extra £400? Am I right in thinking the Fox Evolution forks & shock on the 6.0 are their entry-level models? I'd heard bad things about the Evo forks. Would I gain a lot with the Pikes and Monarch RT3 on the 7.0 EX over the Fox bits on the 6.0?
Something...

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, the Pikes are so much better than the Fox evo forks it's worth it for that alone, factor in the X1 transmission (with weight and complexity saving) and it's surely a no-brainer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • big_chris-2
    Yeah the 1x11 is definitley intriguing, plus the bike looks sweet all in black :P

Are the Evo's really that bad then?
    Something...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Evo's are that bad. The worst fork Fox has made in a long time, the fork it replaced was much better.
  • big_chris-2
    That solves that dilemma then. And the RS shocks + 1x11 gearing on the 7.0 EX puts it ahead of the standard 7.0 with Shimano and Fox Performance bits?
    Something...
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    long delivery times for the 7ex - seems everyone wants it
  • big_chris-2
    Yeah March next year. I'm not too fussed though, will have in time for spring/summer.
    Something...
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    mmm looks good, does anyone know how long consumables last on X1 drivechains. Just googled price of a new cassette, £167 for what is essentially a disposable item, f&$k that shoot too rich for my blood.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • BiG CHRIS wrote:
    Yeah March next year. I'm not too fussed though, will have in time for spring/summer.

We have an optimist :lol:
  • big_chris-2
    BiG CHRIS wrote:

We have an optimist :lol:
    :P Is it that unlikely then for March delivery then? Going back to the 6.0 - have Fox not sorted their Evo forks for 2015? Got my eye on a possible frame swap which might put Canyon out of the running altogether, still curious though...
    Something...
  • big_chris-2
    Seems you were right Mr Monkey... Spectral AL 7.0 EX not available until end of May now :(

So I'm looking at the Spectral 6.0 again - are the Evo forks really that shonky? Can't find any reviews of the 2015 models but surely Fox have sorted their issues out or manufacturers would've just stopped bolting them to their bikes?
    Something...
  • Personally I found it a case of "Am I a good enough rider to notice?" - personally they've been fine as far as I can tell :P
  • big_chris-2
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Personally I found it a case of "Am I a good enough rider to notice?" - personally they've been fine as far as I can tell :P
    This is what I was thinking! I started riding in 1995 on some RockShox Quadra 10's with 46mm travel so having 73 different knobs and levers would probably just confuse me anyway! I have Revelations and a Monarch shock on my current bike and I've just set everything somewhere in the middle and left it at that.

Decision made, gonna go with the Spectral 6.0 8)
    Something...
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Fox Evo will be far worse than your Revelation. The Evo is similar in damping quality to the most basic Rockshox fork.
    Have a look at Rose bikes. Similar value to Canyon but different built kit options and better delivery.
  • big_chris-2
    Are they really that bad still for 2015? They still retail at £400+ which is way more than entry-level RockShox. I'm not suggesting that because they're more expensive they must be better, but to be that much more expensive and still be only on par with entry-level forks seems odd. A company as big as Fox would surely have ironed out the issues they had after the negative reception the 2013 fork got?

I've checked out Rose previously and I'm not a fan, although their 2015 Granite Chief does look quite nice. I still prefer the Spectral though.
    Something...
  • BiG CHRIS wrote:
    Are they really that bad still for 2015? They still retail at £400+ which is way more than entry-level RockShox. I'm not suggesting that because they're more expensive they must be better, but to be that much more expensive and still be only on par with entry-level forks seems odd. A company as big as Fox would surely have ironed out the issues they had after the negative reception the 2013 fork got?

I've checked out Rose previously and I'm not a fan, although their 2015 Granite Chief does look quite nice. I still prefer the Spectral though.
    The 2015 Fox isn't that bad having ride a set recently but still not up to Pike smoothness. To be fair if it were you first time on a more modern fork you wouldn't find an issue with them.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • big_chris-2
    I'm gonna give them a shot. If they end up being terrible then I can use the £400 saving from not buying the 7.0 EX + sell the Evo's then buy some Pikes.
    Something...
  • rockmonkeysc
    The 2015 Fox Evo I rode was pretty bad, better than the 2014 model but still not good. The Revelation is stiffer and better damped.
    You can't judge them by price, Fox have always be far more expensive than Rockshox for the equivalent model with no obvious reason why.
  • big_chris-2
    The 2015 Fox Evo I rode was pretty bad, better than the 2014 model but still not good. The Revelation is stiffer and better damped.
    You can't judge them by price, Fox have always be far more expensive than Rockshox for the equivalent model with no obvious reason why.
    I'm willing to give them a shot then upgrade if need be. I'm saving £400 over the 7.0 EX so not all bad.

Out of interest, one of my other schemes was to keep all my current bits and hang them on a Nukeproof Mega TR frame which CRC are practically giving away. How are you getting on with yours? It's a similar frame design to my Boardman Pro FS - which is a little small hence me changing but also not all that plush. Rides a bit like a hardtail with some extra give in the back - not what I was hoping for in my first full-sus.
    Something...
  • rockmonkeysc
    It may look similar but the linkage works very differently and it's a completely different ride.
    The shock original doesn't work very well with the frame making it quite harsh in the first half of the travel. Paint is a bit ropey as well.
    With a decent shock fitted (Cane Creen DB Inline) it is a brilliant ride. It may only have 130mm travel but it's a hard riding bike thats just a lot of fun to ride.
  • I have nothing of value to add to this thread other than I'll be receiving my 7.0 EX next week :D

Ohh and read somewhere that Fox should have adressed the issues with harsh seals on the EVO's and the overly plushness of the Performance series for 2015. So if you find a good deal on a bike with either and you don't care if it's RS or Fox, I would say it's a safe buy. You can always add volumes spacers if they are too plush and you bottom out.
  • big_chris-2
    applause wrote:
    I have nothing of value to add to this thread other than I'll be receiving my 7.0 EX next week :D

Ohh and read somewhere that Fox should have adressed the issues with harsh seals on the EVO's and the overly plushness of the Performance series for 2015. So if you find a good deal on a bike with either and you don't care if it's RS or Fox, I would say it's a safe buy. You can always add volumes spacers if they are too plush and you bottom out.
    Awesome, thanks.

PS I hate you :cry:
    Something...
  • big_chris-2
    Bit the bullet in the end and ordered the 7.0 EX in Red - delivery March :mrgreen:

Means I get it in time for spring and can use my current bike in the gloop over winter.
    Something...
  • Good decision BIG CHRIS - mine arrived on Monday, 2 weeks early I might add. Love it so far. :)

10787789_714686938606915_708664617_n.jpg
  • big_chris-2
    Oh man that looks sweet! Any more pics? Have you christened it yet?

I've had to cancel my order sadly as apparently I can't get married AND have a new bike next year :( It seems there's a thumb over my head already... (although spending £2k+ on a bike when saving for a wedding was asking for trouble really!)
    Something...
  • I've not had time to get out on any proper trails yet, just a couple of short rides on the road to get it all dialled in but it feels great so far. Fits well and has an amazing spec on it for the money really.

Shame you've had to cancel your order, I placed mine the day they came out but the waiting list is now mid next year I heard. Crazy.

I completely understand that a wedding is probably more important. :wink:
  • big_chris-2
    Yeah the spec is hilarious for the money, was gutted sending them the cancellation email!! The red one is now sold out in my size (well, they have one more now I've cancelled) and the black is not available til May!

I get married in July so will see what the 2016 ones are looking like this time next year if The Boss will allow it.
    Something...
  • hahahahahhahhaaha you got TOLD :D

Nothing V12 finance cant sort mate ;) 0% over X months.... get back on it
  • big_chris-2
    lappymatt wrote:
    hahahahahhahhaaha you got TOLD :D

Nothing V12 finance cant sort mate ;) 0% over X months.... get back on it

Yep, I've basically given her all my trousers as she's going to wear them from now on.

In all honesty the wedding is costing an effing bomb and the honeymoon is even more, so perhaps she's right. I've already got a bike so not like I won't be able to ride, then once she's legally married to me and can't escape next year I'll go back to Canyon and see what the 2016 Carbon Spectral looks like 8)
    Something...
  • AD1
    AD1 Posts: 53
    gfunkatron wrote:
    Good decision BIG CHRIS - mine arrived on Monday, 2 weeks early I might add. Love it so far. :)

10787789_714686938606915_708664617_n.jpg

Looks great, I have one ordered but wont be here until March :(
    What size did you order and what height are you?
    I've ordered the Medium, I'm 5'11.5" so hoping it will be Ok. I currently ride a Medium 2013 Canyon Grand Canyon AL 8.9 (29er Hardtail) which is perfect size.
    Let us know how you get on with it?
  • If she loved you sh'ed postpone the wedding....