Argon 18 Gallium Pro & Fulcrum Racing 0 - any views

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of buying the 2015 version of the Argon 18 Gallium Pro. I like the look of it, and the (few) reviews I've read say that it is comfortable and yet responsive. I'm planning an Ultegra mechanical build. I weigh 145 lbs and am more of a climber than a powerful rider - but this will be the "best" bike that I use for all my summer riding, i.e. weekend warrior rides (40 to 80 miles); time trials (10 miles - I've got clip on aero bars); some commutes to work where I carry my stuff on my back (I have another commuter bike that I use all year with panniers); sportives (100 miles) and perhaps even a bit of Cat 4 racing if I get my act together. I ride about 5K a year on the "best bike".

I've got a budget of about £3.5 to £4k so would probably look to get some decent wheels into the build. My LBS is recommending Fulcrum Racing 0 - but I wasn't sure whether these would be suitable for everyday riding.

Any views from current Gallium Pro riders? Or on the wheel suitability? Thanks

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    They're fine, but I'd rather go handbuilt with DA hubs.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    You'll enjoy the frame - I've a 2014 one. I went with more utilitatrian "everyday" wheels, Miche Primato and Archetypes from thecycleclinic, plus I have some DTSwiss RR440 20/24 rims on Primatos for fun.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Nothing wrong with Argon 18, great bikes.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Thanks for these responses, sounds (subject to test ride) like I've found the bike for me. Now to sort out the wheels...