Norco Sight or Range Carbon 2015 HELP

pgodwin555
pgodwin555 Posts: 66
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I am currently looking to replace my 6 year old Trek Ex8 that although I have thoroughly enjoyed I am finding is not enough bike for me now that I have got into more the gravity and technical oriented riding. Also the technology has moved on loads since I first bought.

I have done a lot of research and have narrowed down to these two bikes, will try and get a demo on each.

I usually ride Surrey Hills plus each year do 1 week in Morzine so really want a bike that can do both. I usually rent a Nukeproof Pulse so will save £ on that each time.

Would the Range with 160mm travel be too much effort on climbs with the slacker angles for UK riding or would the sight with 140mm and less slack geometry be a better compromise for my local trails and then the week in Morzine. I know I can put bigger tyres on that will help for the Alps.

Would appreciate any advice if people have similar geometry or travel bikes.

Thanks
Paul

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I am always inclined to think that the bigger travel bikes are just a bit much in the majority of the UK - I personally wouldnt want to drag a 160mm trail bike round the surrey hills just to have it for a one week holiday. Plus if I was going to Morzine for the DH tracks specifically, I'd still want to hire a big bike - even a 160mm trail bike will be shaken to sh*t by proper bike park stuff.

I cant recommend the sight over the range as I have no experience with either (though I think the sight is a better looker).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a Norco. A couple friends have them and they aren't built to last.
    You won't be wanting a 160mm bike in the Surrey hills, I would go for a harder hitting short travel bike.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Go for somehing around 130-140mm travel would be my suggestion, the Mondraker Foxy XR would be my pick dependant on your budget, but the Nukeproof Mega TR is another good shout or perhaps a Santa Cruz 5010 if your budget can stretch that far.
  • Ref your comment that norco bikes are not built to last what issues are you referring to? Is it frame issues or components probs
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Frames cracking. Paint discolouring and poorly cut BB threads