Mudguards for a 29'er

rmissin
rmissin Posts: 57
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
After many many hours or searching I've landed on these two and about to purchase...

SKS Shock Blade 700C and 29er Front Mudguard
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shock-Blade-700C-Front-Mudguard/dp/B008ZTLQKQ/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_y

413k2X1KRRL.jpg

SKS X-Blade 700C and 29er Rear Mudguard
http://www.amazon.co.uk/X-Blade-700C-29er-Rear-Mudguard/dp/B008ZTLQUG/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_y

31U-qL-nQ8L.jpg

Does anyone with a 29'er have any other recommendations for mudguards ?

I don't like the front "Crudcatcher" style, they look as if they will fail at every turn...(pun intended) :wink:

Preference is Black/Grey with a smidge of orange if possible.

The only thing I don't like about these is the quick release method, should be able to fix with some well placed cables ties tho'

tia

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The shock blade is great. TBH the X-blade is a bit shite - look for one with a proper QR - much better. I think top peak ones are better.

I got this for the rear and the Shock blade for the front:

Topeak Defender M2 Rear
    Black
    sku106337
    £14.99

Not a 29er version but I think they do one for the rear and the shock blade should work fine really on a 29er.
  • rmissin
    Yeah I just found these too...

410Y3vGPW3L.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Topeak-DeFender-XC1-XC11-Fender/dp/B00733M3KC

More stylish but shirley that back guard is too far away from the back wheel ?
    look for one with a proper QR

What does that mean ?

I've read too many bad reviews about the M2's durability, snapping off very easily when accidentally caught with foot when mounting bike.

edit: Just noticed the bad reviews I read were from 2009-2011, maybe changed the design/materials since then ?
  • Chunkers1980
    Like I say I've an M2 and it seems great - I can't fault it.

I mean a proper QR lever/clamp (only on the rear though) rather than the cord style which are shite. The way the front connects it great just a bung up the steerer then it clips on, seems to work a treat.
  • rmissin
    QR - Quick Release...still waking up :P
  • rmissin
    Right I think I'm there....

Although the XC1 looks cool , I'm not convinced that gap at the top is very practical.

@ Chunkers1980, I came across the M1 whilst researching your M2 suggestion, then found they do an M1/XC11 combo..

full71435.jpg

Got a set in stock at my local Halfords, can have it in 30 mins...kerching!

Cheers.
  • Chunkers1980
    It's up to you but I think for the front the dash boards look better than that - less parts to come loose, not fit, wobble ect.

Also on the rear in the pic above it looks like it has a finite adjustment on the up and down angle adjustment - the M2 looks a better bet to me.
  • rmissin
    ...ahh scratch this, my patience has worn out, I've reserved a set of M1/M2's, which will be alongside the M1/XC11 combo in the store tomorrow afternoon, I'll take my bike in and try them both out.

To many conflicting reviews/opinions on the inter-web.

Thanks anyway.
  • rmissin
    I just bought the M1/XC11 set, perfect...and my bike looks pimped , the M2 looked barely big enough for a BMX let alone a MTB and a 29'er at that.

The XC11 is huge, perfect for a 29'er, and has a more than adequate amount of angle adjust-ability.