KMC X10 chain and XT Dyna-sys cassette problems

jomoj
jomoj Posts: 777
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
just fitted a new 11-32 10spd XT cassette and kmx X10 chain to my cross bike and no matter how I fine tune the rear mech the chain rubs or catches on the sprockets or is just generally noisy. I was previously running a 11-28 shimano 105 cassette with the same model chain and it was smooth and silent but I notice the XT cassette has a different surface finish on it.

Is this the issue or is there a slight difference in sprocket widths or some other factor that could cause this? Has drivetrain compatability got the stage where specific chains are needed? TBH I had a similar problem with a Wipperman 10 spd chain that just didnt work with a shimano cassette so it wouldnt surprise me.

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    No - there are no compatibility issues. All 10sp chains and cassettes are interchangeable.

I'm personally using the same mix as you (XT/KMC), with no issues, so check all the usual suspects - cables, limit-screws, b-tension bolt (especially if you've changed the upper size of the cassette ;)) etc.
  • jomoj
    cheers, interesting - yes I know that is the theory and I've mixed and matched plenty of stuff over the years but I'm going to try a different chain to test it in case the KMC I have is a duff one. Its definitely not the B screw or the other limits, theres no contact with the jockey wheels. New cables and mech and shifters are not old either...
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    jimothy78 wrote:
    No - there are no compatibility issues. All 10sp chains and cassettes are interchangeable.

Not actually true, Shimano say that road and MTB 10 speed stuff aren't interchangeable. Indeed the road cassettes are 1mm narrower across the width than the MTB ones.

However it does generally work, I'd suggest the problem is the mech - which one is it? A lot won't quite manage a 32t sprocket. Assume you've screwed the b-screw right in? Is the upper jockey clearing the cassette? A longer b-screw may improve things.
  • jomoj
    njee20 wrote:
    jimothy78 wrote:

Not actually true, Shimano say that road and MTB 10 speed stuff aren't interchangeable. Indeed the road cassettes are 1mm narrower across the width than the MTB ones.

However it does generally work, I'd suggest the problem is the mech - which one is it? A lot won't quite manage a 32t sprocket. Assume you've screwed the b-screw right in? Is the upper jockey clearing the cassette? A longer b-screw may improve things.

Sometimes I hate shimano for doing stuff like that.
    The mech is a short cage shimano 105 rated to 30T max but as mentioned above it is definitely not the jockey wheel in contact with a sprocket, there is plenty of clearance. The setup is 1x10 by the way and the chainring is inline with the 5th sprocket so its pretty well balanced.
  • njee20
    Have you backed the b-screw off a bit? You don't need plenty of clearance, just enough!
  • jomoj
    its definitely not the distance of the jockey wheel to the sprocket, pretty sure its the side plates of the chain contacting the adjacent sprockets. I adjusted the B screw and it makes no difference to the noise. Annoyed with myself for not researching this properly, I should have got a SRAM cassette instead.
  • njee20
    There are no compatibility issues with the chain and cassette, something else is going on if your chain is rubbing on your sprockets.