Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

Electrics help please

FATBELLYMEFATBELLYME Posts: 258
edited October 2014 in The cake stop
Fitting a new light in bathroom above mirror, the original one was fitted using the 3 wires that came out of the wall, red,black and earth....removed them from old light fitting and connected up to new fitting (tried both ways) the light is permantly on....any suggestions

Posts

  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    Try the lightswitch
  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    Ask Morrissey. He had the same problem.
  • The old lights had an internal switch (on a string) not connected to main wires..this dosnt?
  • GiraffotoGiraffoto Posts: 2,078
    FATBELLYME wrote:
    The old lights had an internal switch (on a string) not connected to main wires..this dosnt?

    What you have is probably a set of wires that aren't switched. You need to get a switch, and in all probability, an electrician. Unless you're one already.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    Is it a bathroom light? If not then it shouldn't be in the bathroom. It can be dangerous.
  • joelsim wrote:
    Is it a bathroom light? If not then it shouldn't be in the bathroom. It can be dangerous.

    and illegal.
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,443
    Giraffoto wrote:
    FATBELLYME wrote:
    The old lights had an internal switch (on a string) not connected to main wires..this dosnt?

    What you have is probably a set of wires that aren't switched. You need to get a switch, and in all probability, an electrician. Unless you're one already.

    Yeh, we get loads of electricians on here asking cyclists for help with the 17th edition of the IEE wiring regulations. :roll:


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • I'm guessing it's a spur off a mains feed somewhere, if thats the case it'll be permenantly live.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    Leave the old electrics alone and get a re-chargeable battery powered LED bathroom mirror light, simpler/ safer than mains in a bathroom, last for about 30 hours which is long enough even for you to apply your slap :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b wrote:
    Leave the old electrics alone and get a re-chargeable battery powered LED bathroom mirror light, simpler/ safer than mains in a bathroom, last for about 30 hours which is long enough even for you to apply your slap :D

    Ok thanks for all help lads......any ideas where to get one of these
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 7,528
    edited October 2014
    Is there a switched spur box outside the bathroom? There should be, to isolate the fitting. [Edit. That's wrong, was thinking about extractor fan which should have an isolator switch]. If your new fitting does not have an on/off switch I'd suggest it is not suitable for bathroom use. Get one, IP rated, that has. If it does have an on/off then you're wiring it wrong.
  • arran77arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Asking this on here is nearly as sensible as coming on here saying that you have a huge lump on your knacker, you've been puking your guts up all night and you can now barely breath, do people think it's serious :lol:

    Even if people do suggest what to do with the light do you really fancy messing about with electrics based on what a bunch of lunatics have told you on a cycling forum :wink:

    Personally I'd get a spark in myself especially as it's a bathroom.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

    seanoconn
  • lucan2lucan2 Posts: 293
    When my house in France was being built I questioned the electrician about the safety of the light fittings, switches (wall-mounted, rocker type) and sockets he was fitting in the bathroom. He just shrugged and asked me why it should be a problem. I told him that in the UK the only switches in the bathroom would be pull-cord types and no sockets.

    He smiled and said, "but you run a mains supply into your shower where the water is, don't you?

    I left him to his job :roll: :roll:
Sign In or Register to comment.