Single ring on Campag?

On_What
On_What Posts: 516
edited October 2014 in Cyclocross
Any pitfalls on going to a single ring on Campag? Any advice on chain rings and where to get them from?

I'm running a 12-25 rear block with a Veloce derailleur, I can push a 50T happy on the road but will need to compromise for a CX setup, bike races and commutes

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    No problem, but you might struggle finding a 135mm BCD narrow-wide chainring. Plenty of 130mm or 110mm BCD rings from Race Face or Wolftooth amongst others. Over-geared for CX means you'll simply spin your wheel / lose grip in soft conditions. 38 or 40 might be a good place to start.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    In actual off-road scenarios I think 25 might be too high? I've just done a 36t 12-30 and on rutted / grassy steep hills even the 30 is a bit of a grind tbh.
  • Was in similar position to yourself, I had a fulcrum racing torq chainset and wanted to go 1x cx but was told id find it near impossible to do with that chainset.

In the end have got a46/36 double chainset.
    In future would like to go 1x but costs a lot to convert so will have to save up.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Unless you have legs like Forsterman I wouldn't go for a 50 with a 12/25. You want something smaller on the front and more of a spread on the rear I would have thought. You will be grateful of that when you're 40 mins in to a race ploughing through mud!
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    I should add I have a 50/34T chainset, and simply use the small ring for CX