Should I buy a Scott 900 premium demo (no warranty)

uniomerus
uniomerus Posts: 4
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
I just sold my GF Cake1 DLX and looking to buy a XC setup. Scott seems to be the best value. My LBS has a 2013 Spark 930 and willing to work with me on price ($2600) but I found a 2014 Spark 900 demo for a great price ($3800). My major concern is that the demo does not come with a warranty. The bike is in great condition. I've never owned a carbon bike and having a tough time making a decision.

Any advice on purchasing the demo bike despite not coming with a warranty? I know Scott only has a 5 year warranty anyway.

Comments

• The 930 is new and comes with the warranty. The 900 was a demo and no warranty available. Obviously, the 900 is a much package but is it $1200 and no warranty better? Just really nervous about shelling out $3800 and not having a warranty. Anyone had any frame issues with Sparks?

Also, I keep hearing/reading about "Crash Replacement Program" but can't find anything on Scott's website. Is this something you have to purchase or is it a deal where if you wreck you bike, Scott will offer you a discount on a replacement?

My LBS is in VA
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You could ask the dealer how the crash replacement works.

No idea where VA is, but it all depends on your consumer law.

In the UK where this site is based you would have rights under the Sale of Goods Act.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    VA = Virginia I'm guessing, couldn't speculate on US consumer law, but I'd expect a demo bike to include a warranty.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I guessed that too, but it assumes that the US is the centre of the universe, and the ROW should just know US abbrevations for things.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I certainly wouldn't anything carbon unless it had full warranty.

Plus I've read Scott can be picky over warranty claims at the best of times with their legit customers, so if that's true I imagine they'll be even less helpful with non-original owners.

Crash Replacement Policy usually means you get a replacement frame/broken bit at reduced cost.

I did this with a cracked Specialized SX Trail chainstay a few years ago... I bought the bike used so couldn't claim it on warranty but Spesh sorted me out with a new one for £90, which was a lot less then buying a whole new frame.

I'm not sure if/how Scott do it though.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't buy a demo without a warranty.
    My downhill bike was an ex demo but came with a full warranty.