Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

Tesco...

pinnopinno Posts: 40,168
edited November 2014 in The cake stop
Is deep in censored . Do we care? Thank f*ck we have Lidl and Aldi, I mean where would we get cheap bike stands and gaffer tape, floor paint, mouse sanders, cat litter...?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!
«13

Posts

  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 14,158
    It is an indicator to a broken economy so we should be worried.

    Anyway, about these mouse sanders. Do you get them at Aldis?

    I could do with an army of mice to sand my floors.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • t4tomot4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Why sand mice?

    Wouldn't shaving them be kinder and quicker?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • byke68byke68 Posts: 1,070
    The mrs and daughter want a HUDL soon and we're on their mobile phone network so I hope they don't go under. Apart from that, couldn't care less.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - censored brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • mr_goomr_goo Posts: 3,755
    byke68 wrote:
    The mrs and daughter want a HUDL soon and we're on their mobile phone network so I hope they don't go under. Apart from that, couldn't care less.

    Don't get one. Mrs Goo got one this time last year. Within a few months it was playing up ie; screen locking , apps crashing. Plus battery runs down really quick. If you can get iPad mini. More money but far, far better kit.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,443
    I too hope they don't go under. I like Tesco.

    I also like their points scheme, I've had some great weekends away using those.


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    Don't like it.

    Tasteless food, fake 'offers', poor store layout, buying up land and holding villages to ransom.

    Won't miss them for a second, but feel for any workers who lose their jobs.
  • socratessocrates Posts: 453
    Don't like them but sometimes no choice. Did not like it when they introduced the price drop a nod then found out that just before it started they increased the prices.
  • They are still the biggest retailer in the UK, aren't they?

    We used to go to Tesco quite a lot but too many trips where you go "How much?! That's double the price is was just a few months ago", it gets too much and you don't go back. I suspect many others think the same.
  • PituophisPituophis Posts: 1,025
    I love Tesco, it's the nearest shop to my house.
    Please don't go, oh god of superstore convenience shopping!
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    Even when it was nearest, it certainly didn't make me love it. I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it, but I am no fan of their products, stores, morals or much else. Staff are pleasant though.
  • Tascos has now started carrying more American food, and in particular pulled pork, which is my home states specialty (Allen and Sons was 3 doors down from our house) which is where pulled pork got its big break, as they claim. There are lots of good things about Tesco, and I haven't noticed any price increases recently. Morissons is coming up the chain, and they get used quite a bit. Half of the food in Aldi and Lidl is good, half is horrible. I tend to only shop there for very basic items.

    Personally, I don't care that Tesco is issuing profit warnings. At the end of the day they are still turning over huge amounts of money, making a very nice profit (£200m if I remember correctly). This is just investors panicking because they are not going to get huge dividends this year.
  • I care what's on the shelves and how much it is. The fact they've made a mistake with their accounts doesn't interest me one bit. Why would it interest anyone unless you have shares?
  • It's all part of the elaborate money system, make financial people panic.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 14,158
    I care what's on the shelves and how much it is. The fact they've made a mistake with their accounts doesn't interest me one bit. Why would it interest anyone unless you have shares?
    You may be surprised where your pension is invested, assuming you have one.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 43,972
    They are in a mess but this won't take them down on its own, the financial impact is not big enough. Recent quote in the news to put it into perspective:
    "Tesco said on Thursday of the 263 million pounds, around 145 million pounds came from prior years. A spokesman for the firm said that figure was not sufficiently large enough for the group to have to restate those previous results."

    They have got a lot of work to do to sort it out though and the reputational damage will be around for a long time.

    That said, even if they did go to the wall you would have the other big operators buy up many of the Tesco stores and rebrand them, so no big shakes for people who need to go shopping in the middle of the night.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • crispybug2crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I'm sure it's nowhere near this situation but considering what a behemoth they are would the government step in and help as they would be thought to be "too big to fail" !!
  • mr_goomr_goo Posts: 3,755
    The trouble with Fresco and their rival Fainsbury is that they are neither 'high end supermarket' (Waitrose/M&S) or 'lower end' (Asda/Lidl/Aldi). Both have very dodgy special offers and their unfounded claims of cheaper weekly food shops normally comprise of sacks of crisps, sweets and crates of cheap lager. Tesco needs to re-position itself if it wishes to stabilise and grow.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Pesky JonesPesky Jones Posts: 2,986
    Hm I'm not clever enough to know the financial implications of it, or what I'm about to say but hey ho. I think its a bit of karma. They got rid of all the high street bakers and grocery shops etc. There's three tescos in my town. Each one has shut down a smaller shop when it got built. When you go to france, their supermarkets arent as giant as ours, and you still get all the smaller shops. I like that.
    :D:lol::)cooldad :shock: :? :cry:
  • byke68byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Mr Goo wrote:
    byke68 wrote:
    The mrs and daughter want a HUDL soon and we're on their mobile phone network so I hope they don't go under. Apart from that, couldn't care less.

    Don't get one. Mrs Goo got one this time last year. Within a few months it was playing up ie; screen locking , apps crashing. Plus battery runs down really quick. If you can get iPad mini. More money but far, far better kit.

    Hmm,I'll bear that in mind
    Cannondale Trail 6 - censored brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • kajjalkajjal Posts: 3,380
    Mr Goo wrote:
    The trouble with Fresco and their rival Fainsbury is that they are neither 'high end supermarket' (Waitrose/M&S) or 'lower end' (Asda/Lidl/Aldi). Both have very dodgy special offers and their unfounded claims of cheaper weekly food shops normally comprise of sacks of crisps, sweets and crates of cheap lager. Tesco needs to re-position itself if it wishes to stabilise and grow.

    That is exactly the problem.
  • arran77arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Tesco's is only one step up from the social experiment that is Asda so good riddance I say :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

    seanoconn
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 43,972
    arran77 wrote:
    Tesco's is only one step up from the social experiment that is Asda so good riddance I say :lol:
    Ever been in Aldi or Lidl? :)
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • city_boycity_boy Posts: 1,616
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Tesco's is only one step up from the social experiment that is Asda so good riddance I say :lol:
    Ever been in Aldi or Lidl? :)

    We've got a Morrisons a couple of miles from us that seems to be permanently filled with the entire cast of Royston Vasey wandering round stocking up on cider, fags and Turkey twizlers. My mrs refuses to go in on her own :lol:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • arran77arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Tesco's is only one step up from the social experiment that is Asda so good riddance I say :lol:
    Ever been in Aldi or Lidl? :)

    Going into Lidl reminds me of being in a French hypermarket for some reason, I think its because the place is full of people speaking a foreign language buying shite you never find anywhere else :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

    seanoconn
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 43,972
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Tesco's is only one step up from the social experiment that is Asda so good riddance I say :lol:
    Ever been in Aldi or Lidl? :)

    We've got a Morrisons a couple of miles from us that seems to be permanently filled with the entire cast of Royston Vasey wandering round stocking up on cider, fags and Turkey twizlers. My mrs refuses to go in on her own :lol:
    If you lived down South you'd have Waitrose instead of Morrisons :wink:

    When I was up seeing my folks in Redcar last weekend I went out to get them some shopping. The choice of supermarkets in town was between Tesco, Morrisons or Aldi. I went for Tesco as I figured I'd be safer without wearing a track suit, though it did take while to find the Spam :D
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • jordan_217jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Tesco's is only one step up from the social experiment that is Asda so good riddance I say :lol:
    Ever been in Aldi or Lidl? :)

    We've got a Morrisons a couple of miles from us that seems to be permanently filled with the entire cast of Royston Vasey wandering round stocking up on cider, fags and Turkey twizlers. My mrs refuses to go in on her own :lol:
    If you lived down South you'd have Waitrose instead of Morrisons :wink:

    When I was up seeing my folks in Redcar last weekend I went out to get them some shopping. The choice of supermarkets in town was between Tesco, Morrisons or Aldi. I went for Tesco as I figured I'd be safer without wearing a track suit, though it did take while to find the Spam :D

    Were you not overdressed? I was visiting my folks in Ormesby a few weeks back, went in to Tesco on Skippers Lane, Eston and half the people in there were wearing some lovely pyjama and Ugg boot ensembles. Nice.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 43,972
    I think the wind that blows in off the North sea forces some of them to get changed out of their pyjamas in Redcar. Either that or Tesco is the posh gits supermarket in Redcar.

    That said, when I asked where the milk was, the helpful store bod points me in the right direction then asked if I wanted him to walk me down there. I'm pretty sure I didn't look that incapable :)
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconnseanoconn Posts: 6,725
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I think the wind that blows in off the North sea forces some of them to get changed out of their pyjamas in Redcar. Either that or Tesco is the posh gits supermarket in Redcar.

    That said, when I asked where the milk was, the helpful store bod points me in the right direction then asked if I wanted him to walk me down there. I'm pretty sure I didn't look that incapable :)
    That's the second time I've heard that story. Bit of senility creeping in mate, good job the store bod was there to help. :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • jordan_217jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    seanoconn wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I think the wind that blows in off the North sea forces some of them to get changed out of their pyjamas in Redcar. Either that or Tesco is the posh gits supermarket in Redcar.

    That said, when I asked where the milk was, the helpful store bod points me in the right direction then asked if I wanted him to walk me down there. I'm pretty sure I didn't look that incapable :)
    That's the second time I've heard that story. Bit of senility creeping in mate, good job the store bod was there to help. :D

    What's the bet he asked where the milk was twice as well, hence the offer of help :wink:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • mr_goomr_goo Posts: 3,755
    Real nice the way some of you have grouped those who have no choice but to shop at the lower end shops, with the 'underclass'. Many of the Lidl, Aldi, Tesco and Asda are not knuckle dragging, monosyllabic neanderthals. Many are just honest hard working people who need to make their low pay go further.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
Sign In or Register to comment.