Specialized romin evo not right...so what is?

Moominman2
Moominman2 Posts: 389
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I bought this saddle a few weeks ago as it seemed to fit the bill. I got the 155mm one as I have wide sit bones.

However, it is much nicer than my stock bont one, but still isn't quite what I had hoped. as I am still finding it uncomfortable at times.

Any other reconsiderations from anyone?

Thanks,
Luke

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I get on well with the Romin Evo so cant offer any advice on a different saddle other than if its under 30 days old then you can exchange it with Specialized and get credit towards a new saddle.

Comfort is also dependent on shorts too, even though i like the romin evo if im doing a long ride over 3 hours then i will get a bit of discomfort wearing some shorts however if i have on my 'good' shorts (assos and rapha) then i'll be fine.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Was in the same place as you. Bought..and quickly sold a Romin evo and tried a Charge Spoon. Half the cost and d'ya know what, it's worked like a dream. Can't guarantee it will work for you but for the money definitely worth a try.

I went from being conscious of my saddle to completely forgetting about it, which has to be the end game.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Went from a Romin to a Toupe. Never looked back.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    I too went for a 'Saddle Fit' at local Spesh store, and came away with a Romin Evo Expert Gel, in 155mm, and £85 lighter.
    I was never really comfy on it, & blamed my newness to cycling as the reason, until giving in and picking up a £25 Charge Spoon.
    The difference is incredible. Crazy.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I'm a selle italia man but it's trial and error to find a saddle shape that works for you. My advice would be to find an LBS that does a 'try' scheme (many do) so you can experiment before buying.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Moominman2 wrote:
    Hi guys,
    I bought this saddle a few weeks ago as it seemed to fit the bill. I got the 155mm one as I have wide sit bones.
    However, it is much nicer than my stock bont one, but still isn't quite what I had hoped. as I am still finding it uncomfortable at times.
    Any other reconsiderations from anyone?
    Thanks,
    Luke

Luke

Could I check which version of the Evo you bought? Just a thought but the pro version is much stiffer and, to some, much less comfortable than the cheaper expert version which has a bit more give in it. That's the best one I've found to date albeit I have a Selle SMP Dynamic sitting waiting for me to try out. I'm so close to being sorted with the Evo that I may not bother!

Peter
  • bad_ash
    bad_ash Posts: 47
    To counter what some others have said, I bought a Charge Spoon based upon excellent reviews (and price), but found it one of the most uncomfortable things I've sat on. Just goes to show you how personal it all is.
  • If the Romin is close, but not quite right, I'd try the Phenom.
    Similar basic design, bit more padding.
    Worked for me in a similar situation.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Bad Ash wrote:
    To counter what some others have said, I bought a Charge Spoon based upon excellent reviews (and price), but found it one of the most uncomfortable things I've sat on. Just goes to show you how personal it all is.
    Same here! Ball buster for me.
    Just got a SQlab saddle to try and it's looking good so far..
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    If the Romin is close, but not quite right, I'd try the Phenom.
    Similar basic design, bit more padding.
    Worked for me in a similar situation.

Recently replaced a worn out Phenom with a Romin Evo Expert. I'd say the Romin Evo has more padding.
  • It's true that the different Romins all differ a fair amount.

Fabric (Charge's posh range) are getting great reviews.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    SoSimple wrote:
    Was in the same place as you. Bought..and quickly sold a Romin evo and tried a Charge Spoon. Half the cost and d'ya know what, it's worked like a dream. Can't guarantee it will work for you but for the money definitely worth a try.

I went from being conscious of my saddle to completely forgetting about it, which has to be the end game.
    Seems to me these are very differently shaped saddles so I don't think the price or quality has anything to do with it (except for the impact on your wallet). I use the Romin Evo Expert Gel and have found it very comfortable for the last 10 months but I can be pretty sure the Spoon wouldn't be a runner for me. I need the cut-out and the drooped nose to avoid pain and numbness on longer rides or more aggressive positions (e.g. if I plan to spend more than a few minutes in the drops).
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Not sure how much this will help as ar$es are all different.

However, I also could not fully get on with a 155 Romin Evo and have recently been trying a Prologo Nago Evo Pas in 141. So far only done a 45 mile max and a few 30-35 milers but first impressions are excellent for comfort. Been on a multitude of saddles over the years and I think this may be the best so far for me as long as loonger rides do not identify any issues. Slight rubbing in one area at about 30 miles but I fully expect this to go away with a bit more breaking in (common opinion is that Prologo saddles take a bit longer to break in than other brands)

Build quality has been patchy though and I have so far sent back 3 saddles for immediate replacement due to faults with the cover. I have previously found Prologo saddles to be the best built of all the main brands but the ones I have been sent must have been made by the work experience kid.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Wow, thanks for all the replies guys. You've definitely given me a lot to consider!

And Peter, it's the romin EVo pro with carbon rails.

Cheers all,
    Luke
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Selle San Marco Regale
  • Deet001
    Deet001 Posts: 13
    I was initially fitted for 155mm Romin (pro), tried it for a couple of days and didn't think it was quite right, swapped it for a Toupe, really uncomfortable, went back to the Romin and kept with it for a few hundred miles and now love it. I think it's become more flexible perhaps, though those first 250 miles or so weren't the comfiest!

tl:dr maybe give it a while.
  • Thanks, I'll give it a few more rides in that case.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Don't forget, some shops will let you borrow trial saddles (usually bright yellow or pink) to help you find the one that suits.