Fixie @ the Kelpies

FishermanJoe
FishermanJoe Posts: 31
edited November 2014 in Commuting general
Hi Guys

I use a Tricross for my day to day commute but for some strange reason the urge came apon me out of the blue to build a single speed on a old steel road bike frame :shock:

Got a 1988 Peugeot for £20 as a project turns out it it was in perfect working order and i couldn't bring myself to strip it ...................

So i was in need of another single speed project bike this time i got my hands on a 1984 English frame which is very pretty and has delightfully pretty lugs this too cost me £20 but had no wheels,brakes,derailer, seat, peddles etc perfect !

Splashed out and bought a flip/ flop wheel set, and after researching i decided to take this lunacy to its ultimate conclusion and go "100% Fixed" no free wheel option all in do or die :roll:

My plan is to go with a complete respray changing the colour but first i wanted to ride the beast get a feel and brakeless !! After respray i do intend to fit brakes. Not being completely stupid i decided to go with foot straps and after seeing how silly the prices where i made my own mk1 straps from old seat belts and they work better than i ever imagined 8)

The smallest front chain ring was 48 bigger than most seem to use (42 or 44) but i ordered a 17t and 18t rear cogs and seeing as i cycle to work all year figured my legs could take it ......................

This afternoon after putting every thing together i took it out for the first time sticking to foot paths etc and taking it easy, having never ridden a proper fixed gear its quite a shock ! Your legs going all the time ! also having no brakes i really had to use my advance driving skills to look plan well ahead !!

Well it didn't kill me :lol: and i loved it im looking forward to fitting the brakes after she's painted and the foot straps are a "must" however i found i could slow pretty quickly using my leg pressure however i found muscles i didnt know i had ! I enjoyed having to get up out the saddle and give it some grunt here and there. The speed on a couple of flat straights was great fun too

Ended up at the Kelpies thought it was a good photo op for its first outing really enjoyed myself any other newbies to fixes lurking here ??

DSC_0886.jpg

My bespoke straps :wink: cost pennys !

DSC_0888.jpg

Fixie @ the Kelpies

DSC_0890.jpg

Fixie @ the Kelpies 8)

Joe

Comments

• Hi Guys

I cant get enough on this bike after cycling home on my Tricross I've been itching to get out on it, sticking to cycle paths etc as it currently brakeless :|

I really getting use to it and can bring it to slow walking pace very quickly, its not "kicking" me any more so I've got used to not free wheeling 8) I've taken it to work twice now the very short steep hill i thought id have to walk up really surprised me flew up it no trouble and more fun and seemed less work than my Tricross ! :? In fact i was 2 minutes faster than normal ?? which i don't understand as i had to hold her back on the downward slopes. On the flat straight's it really flys !

The foot straps are second nature and no hassle now i like them so much i might fit them to my Tricross too !

This machine keeps surprising me over and over again, with brakes fitted my time will be even better as i wont have to hold back. I'm loving the direct feel of this bike, and so quiet too !

Going to order brakes soon :wink: then strip her down for paint job boy im going to miss her being off the road ......................... :(

If you have never tried a "Fixed gear" do it !! I've found it hard to free wheel my Tricross in fact my Tricross might become a fixie too 8)

Joe
  • Fixed is great, and highly addictive. Have fun.

Get yourself a front brake though, before it ends in grief. Back one pointless IMO.
  • Hi FishermanJoe, I'm surprised there has not been much response to this post. There is so much floating around the net right now about single speeds and fixies that I have been considering trying one out for myself. I have read many times recently (including your post) about the rush of riding fixed wheel bikes and also how quiet and maintenance free they are. Makes me wonder why we are not all riding them!

No doubt most would rather stick to their range of gears but I do find the 'purist' thing about fixies very appealing! :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Makes me wonder why we are not all riding them!
    Hills........Many peoples commute may be flat enough for SS (Fixie or otherwise) mine is not!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Indeed! and I would imagine descending a very steep hill on a fixed wheel could be quite hair raising too!
  • Hi Guys

You can rest easy front brake now fitted 8) although it has really changed the feel of the bike ! maybe taken some of the danger away :mrgreen: '

Im still completely in love with this bike and have been using it to work every day (cant wait to get up at 04.15 hrs to fixie to work :wink: ) and sneaking out when i can after work. The whole "fixed" thing i love it stops you being lazy, it pushes you but most of all its great fun ! and as already stated highly addictive.

This morning i took my Tricross to work first time in ages due to forecast of very wild wet weather found it rather boring and i now plan to sell the Tricross and build myself a "working fixie" for every day mud guards too.

IMG_20141106_212548.jpg

Brake fitted loving the pursuit bar and new brown seat fitted 8) matching brown tape arrived yesterday but i think i shall fit that after its respray .............................

Regards Joe
  • Thing is with fixed, once you're sure you like them you can get a fantastic bike for a fraction of the cost of a road bike.

I've got a range of bikes but my absolute favourite is my Condor Paris bought 5 years ago for £1,500. Handbuilt steel frame, good components, beautiful to ride and to look at IMO. OK, so a lot for a fixed, but it does get used for an average of about 250km per week.
  • Love the seatbelt toe straps! I know what you mean with brakes, it is safer, but is it as much fun? I'm planning to build a second fixie to play around town on now....
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • I know what you mean with brakes, it is safer, but is it as much fun? I'm planning to build a second fixie to play around town on now....

If you have to ask the question then the answer is definitely use brakes.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Love the seatbelt toe straps! I know what you mean with brakes, it is safer, but is it as much fun? I'm planning to build a second fixie to play around town on now....

How does a brake take the fun out of it? The way the bike handles and the things you can do with it are exactly the same. The difference is you have 60% more stopping power when some twunt pulls out on you or when you are going down a steep hill and would rather not trash a tyre in one ride.

I wouldn't go brakeless myself, I would rather have a bigger and faster gear and know I can stop in a hurry if I need to. If anything that safety factor means I can have more fun on the bike then I otherwise would.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP