New Bike Help !

Mika1881
Mika1881 Posts: 11
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
HI Guys,

Been awhile since I wrote on any of these forums, I'm looking for some advice as I have been out of touch of MTB seen for awhile as I only picked up a bike mag not long ago and can't believe how much has changed, but I've still be riding hard on my 12year old Giant ATX 850!

But nevertheless I need a change and I've been looking around at pretty much everything.

I have a budget of £2,500, I'm looking for a full-sus something that can handle aggressive riding, I have been looking at the Radon Silde but haven't really since to much about them in the UK?

I'm 6ft 4 so looking for something to suit a large person, so any advice would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Have a search on here as there's loads of great bike's around your budget. I'm the same height as you and ride a 2014 XL Nukeproof Mega AM Comp. Great bike and could probably withstand being blown up. You can get them for around £1800 now which is a steal. Leaves you a few quid for a Reverb stealth dropper, pedals and upgraded brakes etc.

Like I said though there's loads of decent ones out there.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Cheers, definitely have been looking at all options.

Was wanting to get another Giant but with the great range of bikes out there it is fast becoming more of a chore looking at different bikes, but in a good way I guess.
  • Myster101
    Yep it's a nice position to be in, I was exactly the same at the start of this year but after reading how much fun the Mega was (and having RS Pikes fitted) I had to go for it.

Some things that might help you narrow down your choices:

How much travel are you wanting.
    Component spec.
    Wheel size.
    After care service.
    LBS or online purchase.
    Buying outright or 0% finance.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Well something between 140mm - 160mm F&R
    Components anything that is decent really Sram/Shimano not to fussed.
    Wheel size I see there is great debate about but I like the idea of 650b wheels wouldn't go as big as 29's
    LBS or Online who ever has the best deal really
    and I would buy outright.

But with this in mind there is so much choice and I'm looking for something that has everything I need and wouldn't have to worry about upgrading anything to soon, a complete package to just get and go.

Also frame size is my only issue, as my old Giant was a 18.5 hardtail so I don't really want to go for the biggest size in frame when buying if its not what I need, but when looking at the Radon Slide I was thinking of a 22" frame
  • Myster101
    Usual suspects:

Nukeproof Mega AM (or TR if wanting less travel).
    Transition Bandit
    Mondraker Foxy
    Specialized Stumpjumper
    YT Capra
    Canyon Spectral
    Lapierre Spicy/Zesty

Sure other people will come along and add to the list.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Lapierre bikes look nice but don't no to much about them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ride very well, they did have a problem with their old frames cracking, but the latest frames (last two years) seem to have fixed that as I haven't seen any reports recently.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you like Giant then take a look at the 2015 Reign. It's looking like it should be a superb bike. The old one was good and this should be better.
    Also take a look at the Saracen Arial, Specialized Stumpjumper Evo, Rose Granite Chief or Uncle Jimbo and the Banshee Spitfire.
    I have the Nukeproof Mega TR and wouldn't recommend it. It's not a well made frame. It eats bearings, the paint quality is terrible and the rear pivot bushes are made of cheese. On the TR version the shock is pretty nasty as well. With a decent shock fitted it does ride very well.
  • In all I've been looking at the:-

Canyon - Strive AL 6.0 Race
    Radon Slide 27.5 10.0
    Radon 27.5 9.0 HD
    Giant Reign 27.5 2

And I must admit that the ROSE Granite Chief is mighty fine.

Banshee full builds are alittle out of my price range
  • Hi guys,I have picked my top three bikes all German ! Not in any order.

1.Canyon - Strive AL 6.0 Race - 2015 model in team colours
    2.Rose - Granite Chief 2 - 2015 model in grey/pink
    3.Radon - Slide 10.0 27.5 - 2015 model black and green

A little vote maybe ? Who would go for what! I like all three each has its own hi spec equipment with the Rose I can change a few things.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would go for the Rose. Great ride and a helpful UK agent who I believe has demo bikes.