Wheelset upgrade - American Classic 'Victories?'

benculverhouse
benculverhouse Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I bought a Boardman Team Carbon limited-edition road bike a year ago and have been upgrading it bit by bit. The wheelset is next. It's got a set of Mavic CXP22s as standard and a local bike shop is offering a set of American Classic Victory clinchers for just over £200. Would these be a reasonable investment? Hard to know what to look for when there's almost too much choice out there!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    How heavy are you? - AM Classic wheels tend to be under-built so if you're 100kg and go battering through potholes, don't expect them to last very long.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Nice wheels. Check the LBS stocks/can source spares for AC. The pawls on the free hub have a habit of going. I had some AC 420's for 2 years and never had a single issue with them but I know others who have….
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I've got them as standard on my Moda, they are really good wheels in my limited experience, very nice free hub. I just had to change some bearings after 3 years of use but they were cheap (£16 for 4) easily found and ok to fit. I am about 82-84kgs and ride on some pretty shoddy roads and have been able to keep them running pretty true with just the occasional "tweak". For £200 I'd say go for it.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise