Beach holiday with good cycling - Not Majorca

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited October 2014 in Tour & expedition
Me and the OH are planning a week away end of May/start of June.

Majorca is out as her response was -im not going to Majorca again and you spend the whole time cycling !!

So i need somewhere else.

The plan is anywhere in Europe other than Canaries that will have a nice beach, good weather and easy access to bike hire.

Ibiza and Costa del Sol are options but anywhere else thats maybe a bit more off the beaten track ??
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    What abpout the north west coast of Spain? You can take a ferry to Bilbao or Santander then head west to Vigo, laCoruña or Santiago de Compostela, cracking places full of history. Its a wonderful rugged part of the country, I stayed at a place called Llanes many years ago and had a cracking time. Its a normal region, real Spain. Go for it.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Try the Cote d'Azur...

The weather will be good at that time of year but not too hot.

Lots of beaches, people-spotting, etc etc for her (if indeed that is what she is after) and you'll find some incredible cycling inland.

Stay in Nice if you want a city break, or else there are numerous smaller resorts along the coast, I've just spent a couple of weeks in Menton which is right beside the Italian border and would thoroughly recommend it.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I agree with both above replies. Another one to think of is the Mediterranean coast of South West France. The Cote Vermeille by Collioure, Port Vendres and Banyuls is lovely and there's great cycling immediately inland at the eastern end of the Pyrenees and their foothills. Did a quick search on bike hire and there seems to be scope at Argeles, just north of Collioure.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Riccione on Italy's Adriatic coast has lots of fans. There are plenty of 'bike-hotels' and other places offering bike hire and guided tours. I don't know how good it is for non-cycling partners though (although places like Ravenna and Venezia are within easy reach).

http://www.riccionebikehotels.it/en/