Garmin / Strava - questions for the patient from tech-idiot

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited October 2014 in Road general
OK so I've finally got the Garmin Edge 500 that I bought 2nd-hand off a club mate fitted and working, and can sort of operate it - as in flicking between menu-pages while nearly ending up on the back of braking vehicles.
I am a tech-dunce and I know I could google the manual etc but I know it will just confuse me, so ...
1. How do I get all the most useful stuff - like time, speed, distance, average speed, cadence - on one page? It's currently spread across about three.
2. How do I now connect, if that is the word, my Garmin to Strava?
I suspect I have to join Strava first?
I know the bloke I bought it off was / is on Strava: will that cause difficulties?
Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    1) This is quite easy in theory but in practise takes lots of finger presses. I can't remember off hand, but a google search or dcrainmaker should be able to help you here.
    2) Use the USB cable it came with (or buy one) its the old-old style blackberry one like an angular block of gold shape, not the newer one which works with HTC/Android newer blackberries etc.
    Sign up to Strava (create a name or use Facebook to sign up). If you have the newest Garmin software its quite simple. I have the old OSX for Mac and I have to do it the slower way.

Click Upload
    Nothing (may) happen and you will see a bit down the page "Garmin - Get started". It will take you through the stages to download the relevant software and then let you upload rides.

The fact its pre-registered will make no difference, so don't worry about that. Just make sure you have deleted all his rides off it. I actually bought a second hand one and when it broke, Garmin let me re-register it to me as I could give the information of the former owner. Meant I replaced it half price when it broke.
  • There is a way to do it automatically I believe but I haven't found it, and i'm a tech professional :) Personally I just 'Export to GPX' from Garmin Connect (tip, it's under the cog icon usually associated with settings) and then Upload -> File into Strava. I don't do enough to put any further effort into finding out the auto bit. I'm using Garmin Express to upload by the way.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It loads direct to strava. It's dead easy. Garmin express is integrated into strava! Just open strava, click upload, click garmin and follow instructions!
  • thanks both - i'll take a look at this when I'm not mad busy at work
  • hey tell you what,contrary to my pessimistic expectations,it's pretty user friendly this lark isn't it ... even managed to upload a couple of routes from garmin connect to my device.
    Going to try following one of them in the morning - exciting stuff!
  • a quick question though: if I follow a pre-loaded route tomorrow, will it still automatically record my actual activity in the same way as it does when you are not following a course? i.e, I'll be able to upload my actual ride route and stats to Garmin Connect / Strava as usual?
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Yes that's right... you can follow your pre-made route and it will record the new one, whilst keeping the old one.

You can use the VP feature for this and try and beat your lap record.