rubber queens as rear tyre?

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hiya, I've got a 26" rubber queen 2.2 as my front tyre, in need of a rear one now, would the same tyre be suitable for the rear wheel? Or would it be too dragging? I just ride trails, very few rocks in my area, just roots. What other tyres would you recommend?

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    They're considered do it all tyres and should be good front or back.

I think they've been replaced by the Trail King though, which are quite highly regarded.

Sticking with Conti, Mountain King IIs are pretty decent too. I'm tempted by another set as I had the originals and loved them.

With any Conti tyres, go for the Black Chilli ones if budget allows.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I think they've been replaced by the Trail King though, which are quite highly regarded.

They havent been replaced, just renamed.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Briggo wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Splitting hairs amigo.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Cqc
    Cheers then, I'll go for it, basically the rubber queens are 40% of the price and lighter than the trail kings or mk2s in black chilli so that's why I'm going for them
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are ok front and rear. I have just replaced mine with Specialized Purgatory which are much better.
  • Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    Just fitted them to my bike front and rear,no complaints at all.
  • Briggo
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Briggo wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Splitting hairs amigo.

Depends amigo, replaced can be seen as a a new version/different and renaming is the same just a new fancy name.
    Cqz wrote:
    Cheers then, I'll go for it, basically the rubber queens are 40% of the price and lighter than the trail kings or mk2s in black chilli so that's why I'm going for them

Whatcha mean they're lighter? Sure they're the same version i.e. protection/black chilli/tyre width/folding? If they are exactly the same they should be the same weight RQ shouldnt be lighter than a TK? (I think)
  • Cqc
    Protection version didn't exist back then, there was just regular carcass, just like now how there is no usual carcass, just Protection and racesport. Considering the fact that the protection carcass is rubbish (heavy and the rubber comes unstuck from it) and the racesport one comes with harder rubber, imo the old version is better and lighter.
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    I tore my rear Nobby Nic in the Lakes and replaced it with a Continental Trail King ProTection with a HD on the front, the Trail King works well on the back even if it's not the fastest rolling!
  • Briggo
    Cqc wrote:
    Protection version didn't exist back then, there was just regular carcass, just like now how there is no usual carcass, just Protection and racesport. Considering the fact that the protection carcass is rubbish (heavy and the rubber comes unstuck from it) and the racesport one comes with harder rubber, imo the old version is better and lighter.

There are 'usual' carcasses, same as there used to be before the RQ got named TK -

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20rubberqueen.shtml

Hell look at the link name, its still called Rubber Queen but links to the Trail King page, they're exactly the same tyres and protection existed with RQs it just doesnt have the wording on the side wall (it's the chequered look on the sidewall that gives it away, my RQs have it and are "peeling" but dont have Protection plastered on the sidewall)