Pimp my Foil!

norvernrob
norvernrob Posts: 1,447
edited April 2015 in Your road bikes
Morning all

I've been getting a bit of stuff together to fit to my Foil, got a day off today so got busy and sorted it! The plan was to lighten it as much as possible as it's only going to be used in the dry for hilly rides.

Full spec is:

Foil 10, HMX frame in a 54.
Ritchey wcs carbon seatpost, stem and evo curve carbon bars.
Sram Red groupset with 12-27 Dura Ace cassette and KMC x10 SL gold chain.
Zipp 202 tubulars with Swissstop Black Prince pads.
Fizik Antares carbon railed saddle.

Current weight including pedals, cages, Garmin and mount is 6.55kg. The pedals will be the next and last thing to be upgraded which will take the weight down to around 6.4kg.

It's amazing how light it feels compared to my 9kg Cube Peloton!

8BCD896D-0F61-4CA4-85FA-67368C591D20_zps53hbsewf.jpg

10B54661-79C9-4E73-AB79-053DC9F2253D_zpszktgqe1i.jpg

Rob

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I like that :)
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    That looks great, I'm a big fan of white bikes.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    That's nice, I do like Scott foils !
  • Markjaspi
    Markjaspi Posts: 729
    Nice I like it.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    its the bunting that makes it for me - almost KOM bunting if you dont zoom in - NICE !"
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    I'm not sure its bunting or wife's knickers? Nice bike though. Love my foil. I think the only people who find them uncomfortable were a couple of magazine reviewers.
  • norvernrob
    borisface wrote:
    I'm not sure its bunting or wife's knickers? Nice bike though. Love my foil. I think the only people who find them uncomfortable were a couple of magazine reviewers.

Naa, the wife's knickers are a lot bigger than that :lol:

And I agree, the Foil is certainly stiff but it's in no way uncomfortable. I've done quite a few 5+hr rides on it this summer.
  • Sweet, very sweet !!
    Cervelo R3
    Tarmac Elite
  • I love it. Really like our white foils.

Don't suppose you want to swap my seatpost for yours? Mine has too much sit back, and our seat posts aren't standard size.

We all know a gold chain speeds a bike up too :P
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    Very nice. I've had mine for three weeks and been so impressed with the ride.

I am the other way round Rich-hill. I need to swap to an inline seat post instead of set back. I have the Foil 10 '14 which is the blue/black colour scheme.

Cant find a blue one anywhere!
  • norvernrob
    Rich-hill wrote:
    I love it. Really like our white foils.

Don't suppose you want to swap my seatpost for yours? Mine has too much sit back, and our seat posts aren't standard size.

We all know a gold chain speeds a bike up too :P

I'm fairly stretched out on it as it as, a setback post would be too much for me!

And yeah, apparently science has proven a gold chain makes you at least 20% faster*

*Possibly not true. :D
  • It's not true, its closer to 25%!

Okay that's a shame, i need to get my hands on one, and a swap seems a better idea than spending £125 plus on one
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    I'd settle for a plain black one to be honest. Just a shame all foils don't come with plain black posts!
  • fuzzbear
    fuzzbear Posts: 112
    Great looking bike! Top marks for being able to ride a slammed stem (wish I was that supple).
    Bonus point for the gold chain 8)
  • That is one sweet ride! Have fun with it :)
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Really like this, impressive spec and I too love those gold kmc chains. I have to ask though...If you're using an aero frame for hilly rides what bike have you got for non hilly rides? :shock:
  • norvernrob
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Really like this, impressive spec and I too love those gold kmc chains. I have to ask though...If you're using an aero frame for hilly rides what bike have you got for non hilly rides? :shock:

Non-hilly rides, what are those? I live in Sheffield.... :lol:

Done a couple of other bits since these pics - got some Time Xpresso 10 pedals for Christmas, some titanium/carbon skewers from Planet X and a Yokozuna reaction cable set. Though it's currently out of action until a new brake adjuster bolt arrives (not that I'd be riding it much in this weather anyway). It's probably around 6.35kg now but I haven't weighed it since last time.

I've got a bike fit with Adrian Timmis at Cadence on the 21st of this month, I'm really looking forward to it.
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Lovely, but if you want to build a lightweight bike for climbing then wouldn't you have been better off starting with an Addict frameset instead? Could save some weight with the brakes - GSL's for example?
  • norvernrob
    bencolem wrote:
    Lovely, but if you want to build a lightweight bike for climbing then wouldn't you have been better off starting with an Addict frameset instead? Could save some weight with the brakes - GSL's for example?

Thanks, tbh I never intended it as a WW bike. I got a good deal on the complete bike from new and it was around 7.1kg stock (once I'd fitted pedals, cages etc). The wheels knocked a load off so I decided to drop a bit more with easy stuff like pedals and skewers.

It's not a true WW bike as I'm not looking for every gram, people say carbon wheels aren't good for braking in the wet but this is every bit as good as the alloy rims I had on it before. Modulation when wet isn't quite a good but outright stopping power with the red calipers and swisstop black prince pads is superb, so I wouldn't risk changing them just to save a bit more weight.

6.35kg is just under my weight loss since I started cycling last year (75kg to my current weight of 68kg) so I weigh about the same now including the bike, food and spares!
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Good effort.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Yep like that. Top effort
  • norvernrob
    Made a few minor changes recently, and managed to get the weight down to 6.3kg. Fitted some Time Xpresso 10 carbon pedals, titanium/carbon skewers, switched the bottle cages for Zipp carbon ones with gold titanium bolts and fitted some gold jockey wheels. For no reason other than I like them. :D

5197DDCD-105A-473E-AB4E-D0312E71495D_zpswjfs352g.jpg

FE4C11CE-EBAB-40FD-A23B-98A1283FA3D7_zps7t7cuvkx.jpg

ED914EA3-356D-4CB4-BEC6-A32F3C671F32_zpskggf1df7.jpg

DE6033A1-7881-4F88-B6A2-821CEAB8AF07_zpsfajtspmz.jpg
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Still a great looking bike... but the gold bits are a bit OTT!
  • Rob,

We spoke before re the tram tracks in Sheff!!!!!
    How do the carbon Zipps hold up on the roads in our fair city??
    Do they soften the blows at all??

Cheers
    Vinny
  • norvernrob
    Rob,

We spoke before re the tram tracks in Sheff!!!!!
    How do the carbon Zipps hold up on the roads in our fair city??
    Do they soften the blows at all??

Cheers
    Vinny

Sorry Vinny, I didn't see this! The Zipps were absolutely fine, but I've just changed to some Fulcrum Zero Nite with 25mm tyres which does make more difference to comfort on rough roads.

Went on my first ride with them into the Peak District today, they're brilliant. Super stiff, super sharp and controllable braking with no noise from supplied pads whatsoever. I also managed to break 50mph and average 44.9mph for nearly a mile on the Owler Bar descent - nothing to do with the raging tailwind that had been in our faces nearly all day!

I've also fitted some Lizard Skins 3.2mm tape which went on much better than the Fizik stuff I had on before.

DEC61F87-F9AD-438A-A77E-7C352B3E4FB8_zpskvnqfmxg.jpg