1x10 or 1x11 on / off road CX bike

How Far is too Far
How Far is too Far Posts: 534
edited October 2014 in Road general
I am thinking of getting a new CX bike and the now Force CX1 seems to be a good option. Has any one used one both on and off road?

I am wondering what the gearing is like, I would use a 42t front ring with a 32/11 cassette on paper it seems to have a good spread of gears compared to a 36/46 front 28/11 cassette convention gearing.

Comments

• It would be good. Used a similar gearing set on a 1x9 mountain bike I had a few years ago and it ticked all the boxes for me.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    For cross, those gears will be ok - maybe a 40 or 38 on some courses/condtions. For road, 42 will not be enough, most likely, depending on how fast you actually want to go.
  • My current CX bike has 34/46 front and 27/12 on the rear. I find this to be ok for what racing I do and I have no problem with it on the road and along cycle lanes etc., I guess the 1x11 will be most compromised on the road.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I've got a Force CX1 with a 46T ring on my commuter, with an 11-32 Ultegra Di2 11-speed rear. Works exceptionally well, and have yet to feel the need for lower or higher gears. For cross, I'd want a smaller front chainring, I should think.
  • Thanks that is what I wanted to here, the bike has a 42T front ring with a 32/11 Cassette.

Should be ok of most of the steep bits and still be able to ride along the road and tracks at 20+ MPH legs allowing
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A 1x transmission will be fine for most CX conditions, but you'll probably struggle on anything offroad other than groomed trails with a 42 chainring. Part of the problem is that whilst your legs can turn your pedals, in soft or loose conditions your rear wheel will slip. I took a CX bike to Glentress and Innerleithin earlier this year and rode most of the trails, including a few blacks - I fitted an MTB double chainset to simply maintain traction on steep and loose climbs. Might be worth looking at different chainrings to suit differing conditions?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • That's some wise words there, Monty. I hadn't thought of the slipping.
  • I use my 29er for Trail centres the CX bike would be used for racing and riding old disused railway lines and a few bridal paths. The off road ability would not be my main concern as much as what it would be like on road sections. but after checking on various gear sites it seems as though it would be geared for well over 20 mph at 80RPM .

My current cx bike has a 34/46 front with 27/12 on the rear and I dont often used 1st or top gears, that is what got me thinking of a 1x11 set up.
  • Seems to me like you've made your mind up. Over 20mph is plenty, especially with cross tyres!
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    There is a factor that may be an issue . It may not. All those cassettes with a big range give big gaps between ratios. changing won't be as slick. You may not be bothered. A triple gives slicker rear changing to a given range between top and bottom and a double is better than a single. May not matter.
    A 42 front will be pretty good. I use a 42/11 combo on the road and run out of gears at about 30mph down hill . Cannot see any need to go that fast anyway. 42/32 will winch you up a 25% hill ok as well. Just the gaps to worry about if that is an issue.
  • Well I took the plunge and got one yesterday, had two rides on it so far and I worried about nothing.

The gearing seems fine both on and off road, so far I have been ok on this hills but I have not done any big hills or raced it yet.

http://www.strava.com/activities/211989767
    http://www.strava.com/activities/211526325
    superx2015_zps35f28e27.jpg
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    I am using 36t with 12-30. I spin out at about 26 mph on the road. I'll probably go even lower on the cassette. Has a tendency to spin the back out on muddy hills.
  • 42t with 11/32 I can ride happily at 20 mph with 4 gears left and pedal upto 35 mph. Obviously I will have a bigger bottom gear bit it does not feel much different to my other CX bike running 36/46 with a 12/27.

If I had the choice I think I would go for a 40T 11/32 setup