What lens tint for low light/night

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited October 2014 in Road general
I have a pair of Oakley racing jackets - and I am contemplating getting some lenses for lower light and I wondered what peoples view of persimmons lenses compared to clear are?

I feel that persimmons are a better all round, but if I was to do some night riding under street lights are they too dark or would they be ok? (I don't do much night riding, would only be the occasional outing)

Any advice would be appreciated!
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Get yourself some cheap and cheerful glasses with clear lenses. They don't have to be cycling specific, you'd be surprised how smart some safety specs from Screw Fix look. It'll be dark so nobody will even know :wink:

If you're only planning the occasional outing then buy some cheap specs and spend the money you've saved on some new Winter clothing or some decent lights, etc.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • clear or yellow
    left the forum March 2023
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Yep. Clear or yellow. I find yellow seems to reduce headlight glare from oncoming traffic.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Having worn yellow inserts on my motorbike visors for many years and always felt they increased vision at night as well as taking some of the glare off, I'm reliably informed that they make night vision worse. Clear lenses are better at night apparently, though I too felt that yellow tint lenses make a difference.

Yellow tint is good on dull overcast days in low light.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    diy wrote:

But be prepared for disappointment when you take them off, and it isn't as nice a day as you thought it was.
  • Clear lenses.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Andy9964 wrote:
    diy wrote:

But be prepared for disappointment when you take them off, and it isn't as nice a day as you thought it was.
    This is very true. When it's completely dark on unlit roads or parks I find yellow lenses cut too much light so I use completely clear at night now.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    A yellow tint will provide a better contrast in lower light conditions, but when it is low light, like night, then any colouring will obstruct what little light is available, so clear lenses are better.

Even the Frenchies dropped yellow car lights because all they are doing is dropping the actual light output, not reducing glare.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    TheFD wrote:
    but if I was to do some night riding under street lights are they too dark or would they be ok? (I don't do much night riding, would only be the occasional outing)

No it’s not too dark as I’ve been using Oakley persimmon lens for 2 years for commuting, I leave the house in the dark at 6am and including using a short cut along a path that is only lit by my torch.
    Oakley yellow lens let in 90% of light compare 61% for persimmon and I prefer latter as I found the yellow a bit too bright for me when the sun shine though, but it’s your choice
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Andy9964 wrote:
    diy wrote:

I find this with rose tinted specs
  • LegendLust wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:
    diy wrote:

I find this with rose tinted specs

:lol::lol::lol:
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    I normally ride with the Oakley Transition (prescription) lenses for all of my outings on the bike. I can ride with them in the dark, but they still block out some of the light. In winter I often swap the lenses for a completely clear pair and they work really well for night-time, (obviously!), but are also pretty good for the very dull days too. Just like having a pair of safety glasses really, with a really wide field of view.
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:
    diy wrote:

This is very true. When it's completely dark on unlit roads or parks I find yellow lenses cut too much light so I use completely clear at night now.

+1 to these statements, clear for night, orange tint for cloudy days.
  • yellow - increases clarity.

otherwise clear.
  • I'm sure some physicists will chip in but in my experience the alleged benefits of yellow lenses are just marketing bollox.

Most of my riding from now until spring is on pitch dark back roads (occasionally dusk/dawn) and I use clear lenses all the way.

More important is that they're kept pristine, super clean and smudge free. Bolle safety glasses are cheap and as optically excellent as the wallet-lightening cool-brands. It's dark, who gives a #~*% what you look like?
  • As the nights are drawing in now, and also working nights, after reading this thread ive bought some clear lens for my oakley flak jackets...