Booby trapped trails

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited October 2014 in MTB general
Just saw this report from Portland:

http://bikeportland.org/2014/10/20/bomb-squad-responds-tripwire-device-trail-near-forest-park-112409

I remember a period when wires were being put across trails in Swinley and I have come across logs and branches dropped across trails after corners but trip wire IEDs?! Only in America. And Iraq.
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bloody hell! I've been done with barbed wire before, but that is a whole new level!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    String, ropes, logs and occasionally a suspended bag of 'dog egg', but a shotgun shell is something else!

Having messed around as a youth with various things that would now get me arrested under the terrorism act, I can confirm such devices are easy to make, make a mess when they do go off (probably not fatal though as 'getto barrels' don't work well so you get a lot of spread) but making the trigger mechanism stiff enough to work reliably is difficult! Fertiliser explosive is easy though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • * phones Leamington Spa's police anti-terror unit *
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    our local trails off piste get damaged and logs put over them frequently. have to check them before riding.