Mango Singlespeed bike - Anyone got one?

Boneidle24Seven
Boneidle24Seven Posts: 44
edited October 2014 in Commuting general
Hi,

As the title suggests, I was wondering if anyone owns one and would recommend them?

I was thinking it would make a good cheapy work commute bike. The reviews I have found seem to rate them quite highly and I like the fact that you can select your frame and component colours.

thoughts anyone?

Comments

• It depends on where you live (is it flat?) and how long your commute is...

My friend has one. The steel frame doesn't give it a responsive feel that you get on a more expensive frame, the kit and tyres are poor and the 44x16 gearing means that only the people with thighs the size of Chris Hoy's will get it up a long hill.

On the plus-side they are cheap and good fun if you are riding locally. And they do look 'pretty'.
    Unless you go stealth black it may draw unwanted attention if you live near places inhabited by scrotes).

But my commute is a round trip of 26 miles - no sensible person would use a ss unless they were training.
    And the colours would concern me too - unless you go 'stealth black', you would stick out like a sore thumb where I live. It draws attention from scum-bags who would either damage it or steal it.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Well my commute is a round trip of 15 miles with only two short sharp hills on the home run. To be honest I don't like all the bling colours and would probably go for a black or white frame with all the components silver or black, so it doesn't look to out of the ordinary. I certainly wouldn't go for any of those rainbow coloured tyres, that's for sure!
    I like the idea of minimal maintenance, a quiet ride and the stories you read like "once you've tried a fixie you'll never look back" etc, etc!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you want it 'normal' looking, I would look elsewhere, better can be had cheaper, Mango sells to those who want to advertise their 'difference' (for want of a better word)....A chap at work has one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    If you want it 'normal' looking, I would look elsewhere, better can be had cheaper

Interesting! Can you recommend anyone in particular?
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Great price any ideal of the weight?
  • Can't seem to find any references to weight, but it must be comparable to a Mango or Quella!
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    On the reviews two people say its light and one says quite heavy :roll:
  • Depends what you're used to I guess. Anything would seem quite light compared to the mountain bike I currently ride!
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Someone in my office has got one of these which is pretty sweet looking: http://bombtrack.com/bikes/arise/
  • Lovely but a little more pricier than the others! :(
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    there are 3 or 4 mango's in our buildings bike store. One chap has demonsttaed why its sometimes not a good ide to give the customer the choice - just about very part is a differnet clour and it looks a right dogs breakfast. the others are by default more tasteful, one in red and chrome/ silver actually looks OK.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem