cassette and chain

Sprool
Sprool Posts: 1,022
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Have done over 2500 miles on my Canyon CF SL 7.0 since I got it in March - time for new cassette and chain I think, despite the fact its not yet slipping and its still changing gear slickly (i keep it pretty well maintained). It came with a Shimano HG81-10, 11 - 32 tooth which is sold as a mtb cassette. I'm happy to stick with a 32-t granny cog despite derision from fellow cyclists, I cannot pedal up Winnats pass after a 60 mile route unless I have a 32 on the back. Theres a few other nasty gradients 16%+ around my area that feature in many outings.
I want to swap out the chain at the same time, no idea what the current chain is but I see some are sold as road and some as MTB chains, do I therefore need a MTB chain? Is there a difference? What about these asymmetrical ones that have a specific running direction - is that all technobabble? Any recommendations for a suitable 10-sp chain, the rest of the groupset is Shimano 105, I'd favour the quick-link power link thingy over Shimano's silly chain pins for fixing.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    You can use any 10 speed chain you like.
    SRAM, KMC, Connex chains come with a quicklink, but you can use a quicklink with Shimano chains too, so lots of options.
  • Why change it and possibly introduce a potential problem, when its all working fine right now? :shock:
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Any KMC X10 chain would be my recommendation.

For example:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kmc- ... lsrc=aw.ds

In fact just fitted a Shimano SLX HG81-10 cassette and KMC X10-73 quicklink chain to a bike build for my grandson and they worked perfectly [Shimano 105 RD5700 medium cage (GS) rear derailleur plus Shimano CX50 (46/36) crankset].

The X10-73 is £13 from CRC - you can spend more if you wish and go for one of the higher specced KMC versions eg the 93 or SL silver)
  • Sprool
    Why change it and possibly introduce a potential problem, when its all working fine right now? :shock:
    My understanding is that stretched and worn chains cause more wear, and by paying a little to replace chain after 2000 miles or a year then you save longer term wear and tear on your crank rings, which are a lot more costly to replace. If you put a new chain on an old cassette then you get slippage issues, I've had experience of that on an old bike, so I always change both cassette and chain together nowadays.
    The X10 sounds a good choice
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    My road bike came fitted with Shimano transmission components and KMC X10 L chain, (now named X10 EL) with quick link. As mentioned above the KMC chains can be used on road and MTB's and are non directional.

http://www.kmcchain.eu/products-multipl ... derailleur
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Sprool wrote:
    Why change it and possibly introduce a potential problem, when its all working fine right now? :shock:
    My understanding is that stretched and worn chains cause more wear, and by paying a little to replace chain after 2000 miles or a year then you save longer term wear and tear on your crank rings, which are a lot more costly to replace. If you put a new chain on an old cassette then you get slippage issues, I've had experience of that on an old bike, so I always change both cassette and chain together nowadays.
    The X10 sounds a good choice

IME, stretched and worn chains do cause an issue...but the key is knowing when the chain is getting worn or is worn. Typical chain replacement time for me is when it measures between 0.5 and 0.75 or I replace cassette and chain if I have let the chain go beyond 1.00. Another usual cassette swap regime is 3 or 4 chains per cassette when changing at 0.75.

Chain wear can vary greatly depending on usage and weather. The trick is to learn when a chain is getting worn and then swapping promptly.

As for cranks, I have adopted the 'check every 20 years or 100,000 miles, which ever is appropriate' approach.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Sprool wrote:
    I'm happy to stick with a 32-t granny cog despite derision from fellow cyclists,
    Who are these fellow cyclists?
  • Sprool
    No naming and shaming here!
    Think the current setup will last me ok through the filthy winter months, esp as my weekly mileage takes a dent in the winter, then when the weather starts to brighten in the spring i will fit me a new cassette and chain
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Cassette should last at least twice as long as the chain...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Up until 3-4 years ago, no one bothered checking chains. Strangely enough, there were no widespread problems with drive chains.

Chains and cassettes wear together, and putting a new chain on a part worn cassette simply encourages the chain to wear quicker so it meshes with the older cassette.

You can ride a chain and cassette into the ground; I've done it. I've used a chain and cassette for a year of racing then put the same chain and cassette onto my winter trainer and used it for 4, that's four years of training and had no problems at all.

You don't need to measure chains, you simply use the same cassette/chain combo until you get tired of it; shifting issues are 99% to do with cables, not chains.
  • Grill
    My TT bike sees 4 different cassettes each season with the same chain and never had an issue. My Wyndy sees 3 different cassettes, and again no issue. In fact, I know loads of people who swap cassettes regularly and they never have issues.
  • crikey
    So the answer is to change cassettes regularly? :lol:
  • Grill
    No I'm saying there's no issue with putting a new chain on a partially worn cassette.
  • crikey
    Nor is there an issue with using the chain and the cassette as a unit and wearing them out together, which is what I suggested.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Sprool wrote:
    I'm happy to stick with a 32-t granny cog despite derision from fellow cyclists,
    Who are these fellow cyclists?
    Sprool wrote:
    No naming and shaming here!
    Then this tale of suffering derision from fellow cyclists is probably fabrication. :wink:
  • Grill
    crikey wrote:
    Nor is there an issue with using the chain and the cassette as a unit and wearing them out together, which is what I suggested.

Except you spend twice as much on cassettes if you do it your way.
  • crikey
    Um, no.

Show your working out then....
  • Grill
    You say to wear the cassette and chain together and then replace them. This is a 1:1 ratio.
    I say you should be able have a cassette last through at least 2 chains. This is a 2:1 ratio.

With my method you purchase half as many cassettes. Do I need to draw you a picture?
  • crikey
    What, with crayons?

Look at my post up there, one chain, one cassette lasting a year of racing then four years on a training bike.

Tell me again how many chains you'll go through, and how many cassettes?

It's not about ratios, Professor. :roll:
  • Grill
    Many chains and not many cassettes. The chain on my Ritchey is at 3k miles and is almost done. The cassette has done identical mileage and is just fine.

You can't use time as a metric as it's useless when it comes to wear. A year of racing isn't a lot of mileage (and really doesn't wear components faster than any other riding) and who knows how much you do on the training bike.