Rims bent but no visible dents

raymondliu
raymondliu Posts: 56
edited October 2014 in Workshop
Hi had my front wheel caught in a drain as I was getting onto the pavement to go through a park gate, I came off in embarrassingly slow-mo fashion so it was not a high speed collision.
Now there is an area that is more bent to the right than all the other parts of the rim. The spokes supporting the area out of true are already lacking tension but it seems the only way I can get that part to be in true to loosen the already loose spoke on the right hand side even more. I know obviously there is irreversible damage but what would people suggest to be the best way to ameliorate the damage? Should I tighten all the other spokes on the right hand side to pull the whole rim more to the right so as to even it out?

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    If it is a standard lacing pattern, then truing the wheel can be done. If it isn't, a decent wheel builder will have to do it - especially if you are new to truing wheels. if you have never done it before, get some help.

http://bicycletutor.com/wheel-truing/
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Thanks for reply, it's a light weight 7800 series Dura Ace so front wheel only has 16 spokes without any lacing to speak of, don't know how that would affect things.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    That will be a tricky wheel to true of you haven't done it before. The tensioning on modern lace patterns are pretty high - that's how they get away with such a low spoke count.

Get a reputable lbs to look at it for you. You'll get the low down of lbs's in your area in this forum if you ask - post a title 'looking for good wheel builder in...' in Road General as it is frequented more than workshop.
    Hopefully it can be salvaged; they are nice wheels. I have DA Cl 1380's and they have never gone out of true but then I haven't had a fight with a drain cover (and don't want one).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Unlace the wheel and bend the rim back in shape. Build it up again.
    With 16 spokes there is no way to get it back in shape with only the spokes.
  • Most likely the rim is a write off, although it would be worth investigating if the damage can be contained or corrected
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Tensions in a low spoke count wheel should not be higher than a high spoke count wheel. Tension is a determined by how much the rim can handle, If its too high rims crack which come to think of is on off thing with a few brands I think off.

If the tension in a wheel is low no matter the spoke count it fall apart, breaks spoke early e.t.c.

As for the OP wheel, bin it and buy another trying to bend the rim back into shape is a non starter as modern rims can be quite stiff and most likely you will no make it overly stright again.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.