Which tyres for all round winter bike

NaishTT
NaishTT Posts: 47
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Just about to pull the trigger on a new bike for the winter that will be used mainly on the road but with light off road capability important as well.
Is the holy grail of using one set of tyres realistic for this? Clearly f the terrain gets cross-like then something suitable will be required but for road and tow paths, tracks etc could I get away with one set?

If so, the question is what width to go for and which tyres? I was initially thinking 28mm and Conti GP 4 seasons but maybe 32's wouldn't be much of a compromise on the road on club rides? And then I'd need a different tyre....

Interested to hear your thoughts!

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got 25c GP4Seasons on my SS and put the tyres through mud on a cycle path with no problems other than dirty legs. I've got 28c GP4Seasons on the disced roadie and don't notice any issues with them, the larger tyre is easier to remove when the PF visits.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I used some brand new Schwalbe Durano Plus for an audax ride last Saturday (Mr Pickwick's Autumnal Outing)
    and suffered a puncture. A tiny piece of flint had pierced the blue anti puncture strip in the tyre. I'd suggest that
    those pieces of debris will get through any tyre.
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    I have 32mm tyres on my winter bike. Dont seem any slower to me than my 25mm GP 4000. Much nicer on gravelly tracks though.
  • NaishTT
    Thanks all. Sounds like it could well be possible and that 32mm might be the way to go.

Which tyres are you using Dippydog3?
  • For me, 25mm in either:

Schwalbe Durano
    or
    Conti GP Four Seasons

Look no further, end of story, etc etc
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Just changed from GP4s ('cos of cost of a replacement) to Michelin Pro4 Endurance and I'm as impressed with them as with the Contis.

So I'd change KOTLT's response to:

25mm Durano, GP4s or Pro4 Endurance.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Planet X Uncle John CX tyres.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • NaishTT wrote:
    JI was initially thinking 28mm and Conti GP 4 seasons but maybe 32's wouldn't be much of a compromise on the road on club rides?

I'd find it hard - psychologically and cos they probably wouldn't fit - to ride anything wider than 25mm.
    But then I don't do any light offroading.
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    NaishTT wrote:
    Thanks all. Sounds like it could well be possible and that 32mm might be the way to go.

Which tyres are you using Dippydog3?

Nothing Special. Came with my Diverge. They are Specialized Roubaix Pro. The GP4000 are about 230g each. The Roubaix are 350g or so. Seems reasonable for a much bigger tyre. They grip very well, and I have a long gravel driveway that they cope well with.

I have also tried these and they were excellent. Vittoria Randonneur Pro.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    GP 4 Season are the way forward.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Schwalbe Durano's are the way forward
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Nice to see someone mention Vittoria Randonneurs, especially if you want to prioritise robustness.

They'll laugh in the face of road and trail debris that would flat a GP 4 Seasons. Nothing wrong at all with the latter, that's what I run on my commuter bike as a 25mm in the Summer, but for Winter the Randonneurs in 25mm are ace. They're a great tyre for light touring, gravel excursions and roll fine on the road. They're no Michelin Pro 4, but for all round dependability they are hard to beat. Cheap, too.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    LegendLust wrote:
    I used some brand new Schwalbe Durano Plus for an audax ride last Saturday (Mr Pickwick's Autumnal Outing)
    and suffered a puncture. A tiny piece of flint had pierced the blue anti puncture strip in the tyre. I'd suggest that
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    De Sisti wrote:

I used worn to nothing (carcass showing through tread) GP 4 Seasons on that same ride and had no punctures. :)
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • LegendLust
    De Sisti wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

So? No tyre is immune to punctures - just that some are tougher than others.

Thing is I've tried all sorts of tyres over the years for the winter months and the Durano's have the best mix of toughness, ride quality and above all grip.
  • Well having done a bit of research for my Kinesis Roadlight build I bought some Michelin Kithion 2 tyres from Wiggle for £12.50 each which I thought was a bit of a bargain in 25c format. Not used them before but seem to come well reviewed so will let you know how I get on!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • NaishTT
    What a diversity in approaches!

As I want to go at least 28mm that rules out the Schwalbes and the Michelins. I know and trust the GP4S but I'm not sure about their off road capabilities? The Randonneurs look very durable but very heavy!
    I'm also curious about going to 32's and wonder if I would really lose a lot on the road with tyres that big?

The Specialized Roubaix look just the ticket with their fast central band and outer ribbing but are only available up to 28mm. So is there a great 32 out there?
  • NaishTT wrote:

As I want to go at least 28mm that rules out the Schwalbes and the Michelins. I know and trust the GP4S but I'm not sure about their off road capabilities? The Randonneurs look very durable but very heavy!
    I'm also curious about going to 32's and wonder if I would really lose a lot on the road with tyres that big?

The Specialized Roubaix look just the ticket with their fast central band and outer ribbing but are only available up to 28mm. So is there a great 32 out there?

A great 32? Yes. The Randonneurs. They're really not that heavy. There are probably "floatier" tyres though. I'm running 33c Uncle John CX at the same pressure I ran the Vittorias at and they are much comfier.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • LegendLust
    NaishTT wrote:

Durano's are available in 28 and 32

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/ ... al3l8p8haq