cassette oscillating when wheel spinning

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have had no end of problems with my gears not working i had a worn cassette and chain so i replaced my chain, cassette, cables and jockey wheels to try and rectify the issue. After the replacement the problem didn't stop so i had my mech hanger straitened it was very slightly off and obviously done the full gear setup numberous times in the process and no matter how hard ive tried it wont go in or stay in the odd gear while working ok in another. I have been doing work on it again today too see what else it could be and noticed that the cassette oscillates when the wheel is moving. Am i right in saying i will need a new axel or is it not as easy as simple as that? btw there cheap hubs that came on my Boardman pro cup and cone 10 spd) thanks

Thanks a lot!
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Seems odd to have changed all that without isolating the actual problem.

When you say oscillate - you mean turning when it should be freewheeling?
  • jon1993
    The drive train was very worn anyway so naturally when the chain started to slip on gears whilst set up correctly i instantly thought that as for the other stuff all the tools cabling ect are free to use at my university.

The oscillation starts when freewheeling you can see the cogs going back and forth between the spokes and the frame. I have just stripped down the wheel and the axel is bent the tiniest amount so by the time it gets to the end of the large cogs its enough to cause the issue i would have thought. I will go into university and get a new axle hopefully that will cure all the issues
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    It might be as everything else was worn the free hub bearing are shot ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Many hubs has free bodies that cause the cassette to wobble.

It is not an issue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    nicklouse wrote:
    Many hubs has free bodies that cause the cassette to wobble.

It is not an issue.

^^ This. Asked my LBS when I saw one of my wheels doing this years ago. No problem with the gears at all.
  • jon1993
    Ah that's not good then I am not entirely sure I will be able to get hold of one of those at a reasonable price with crap quality hubs that came off my Boardman pro
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Formula hubs, not at all crap, probably the most common hub for MTBs in the UK.....there are many many worse!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Are you using a spacer with the cassette?