Rhodes in Greece - any experiences & routes ?

esdavey
esdavey Posts: 19
edited September 2015 in Tour & expedition
Hi,
I'm off to Rhodes next week with Mark Warner & intend to hire a road bike for a few days. Anyone got any experience of riding in Rhodes & recommend any good routes or places to aim for ?
Circumference appears to be 185km which is interesting BUT depends on ascent ! :lol:

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Bottom of the island is very, very remote so pack well for punctures etc. Hills aren't massively testing but can be reasonably long. Top end of the island is all short, sharp stuff and very, very, very, very busy with traffic so best avoided. Mark Warner is at Afantou which is on the leeward (wind blows offshore) side of the island and is mid-way down the very busy Rhodes Town to Lindos road. As soon as you are past Lindos it gets very quiet.

Basically, don't bother with anything on the North coast East of the airport round to Rhodes Town, unless you really enjoy traffic and use the roads that cut through the island to link up to Afantou.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I was in Rhodes in August and I took guided tours by Trekking Hellas Rhodes. I felt in good hands in a crowded with buses, cars and motorbikes island. We were taken almost car free areas and really enjoyed nature and riding. Free bottled water, snacks and you learn a lot by the guides who are experts in history, geology, notability of the island. We cycled mostly at the interior of the island in forest and groves that made hot August cool. But we did end at a quiet beach every time. Amazing that you can find a beach for yourself in such a crowded island.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I know Rhodes like the back of my hand, stay clear of anywhere north of the airport to Vrisia road and you'll be fine. It won't be busy now so you'll have a great time. Enjoy.