Inner Tubes for Carbon wheels

sherer
sherer Posts: 2,460
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi

I have a set of Zipp 202 wheels and now after a year need to change the tyres and inner tubes. Last time I got this done at the LBS but it's time to bite the bullet and start doing this myself.

I've bought a pack of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-road-i ... 5360653834

But the valves don't seem long enough for the wheels ! Not a big deal as I can always use these on my winter bike. I've read about valve extenders so not sure if I need them or just need to get different inner tubes that will fit better.

Comments

• Return them and get some with longer valve stems.

If you've never fitted a tyre, what do you do in case of a puncture?
    left the forum March 2023
  • sherer
    Return them and get some with longer valve stems.

If you've never fitted a tyre, what do you do in case of a puncture?

any you would recommend ? I have 700 x 23c tyres.

Usually end up having a friend help me out but it's about time I learned to sort these things out myself.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Amazing ! Flash wheels and your mate does your punctures ? All the gear....

Why replace inner tubes if they aren't punctured though ?
  • Any innertube with a 60 mm stem valve should work OK. You can go all fancy and get lighter ones, but in the end they're just inner tubes
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I'm going to state the bleeding obvious here, but having fallen victim of it before.... don't forget to make sure the spare tubes you carry in your saddle bag or back pocket have the same long valve stems. So obvious until you pull out a tube and find... :oops:

Peter
  • sherer
    cougie wrote:
    Amazing ! Flash wheels and your mate does your punctures ? All the gear....

Why replace inner tubes if they aren't punctured though ?

Got a puncture last ride and was stuck with no spare on me. Made me realise I need to learn to sort this sort of stuff out rather than rely on others who aren't always there.

I did try some latex ones before but had even more of a job fitting those and burst two of them.

Have prob changed about 5 tyres myself in 10 years of riding and do it so little I always struggle, about time I learned a bit more.

I'll look at 60mm valves, need to get a pack of 5 as need two for the bike plus a spare for the saddle bag. Have a multi tool and also a clip on pump to go on the bike
  • sherer wrote:

I'll look at 60mm valves, need to get a pack of 5 as need two for the bike plus a spare for the saddle bag.

so that's 3... you can buy 3 of the same thing, no need to buy a multipack... :wink:
  • northpole wrote:
    I'm going to state the bleeding obvious here, but having fallen victim of it before.... don't forget to make sure the spare tubes you carry in your saddle bag or back pocket have the same long valve stems. So obvious until you pull out a tube and find... :oops:

Peter

been there, had to walk 5km in socks until i got somewhere the Mrs could pick me up ;-P

worth a watch in emergency https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnAv5_r-qNQ
  • sherer wrote:
    Got a puncture last ride and was stuck with no spare on me. Made me realise I need to learn to sort this sort of stuff out rather than rely on others who aren't always there.

Sweet jesus, not wanting to have a go or anything but come on...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Shouldn't this be in Cake Stop under "numbties"? :roll:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Out of interest, why do you feel you need to change your inner tubes?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    sherer wrote:

Sweet jesus, not wanting to have a go or anything but come on...

I have a my PA change the tubs on my Enve's, Lightweight and RZR's. In case of a puncture I use my Sherpa's bike until he has sorted out my flat and if that doesn't work I just hitch a ride home in my support vehicle. Tuesday evening rides can be a right kerfuffle...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg