Veltec Speed AL

dazz_ni45
dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Does anybody know anything about these wheels?

http://www.bike24.com/p243497.html

My LBS has just started to stock them but there are very limited information on any of the UK forums.

I'm considering them as a replacement for my Mavic Cosmic Carbones as I have just been made a good offer on them. Weight wise, they appear to be about the same.

I'm 85kg and they would be used as a good summer wheel for a little bit of everything.

Thanks

Comments

• dazz_ni45
    I guess nobody has any experience of them?
  • no experience but they have them in stock at http://s-tec-essence.eshop.t-online.de/epages/Store4_Shop38023.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Shop38023/Products/VET2013/SubProducts/VET2013-0004

Edit: my mistake, only Campag freehub in stock

I believe I've heard smoggysteve talk good things about the full Carbon ones.
  • dazz_ni45
    Thanks. If I was to purchase intended on buying from my LBS in any event albeit they are a few quid more than the online continental retailers.

The cosmics were sold last night. Ideally I would love a do it all wheel that replaces both my cosmics and ksyrium sl's which alternated on the bike depending on the route and weather conditions. I found the cosmics incredibly sluggish when climbing so they only covered about 100 miles this year. The kysriums sl's I do like, but aesthetically on the bike, I would like something with a slightly deeper profile, but that will still accelerate and climb well.

I had looked at handbuilts, but there aren't many builders here in Northern Ireland and I don't know where to start when putting together a spec.
  • my everyday wheelset is Archetype rims on Novatec hubs, built by thecycleclinic from the forum, I live in Germany so don't let being in N.I put you off ordering them in ;)

re spec just ask them. i got 32R/28F as recommended as I was 97kgs, i certainly appreciate how strong they are and I'm putting in 1200kms a month so glad if i can replace a rim or two here and there instead of a whole wheelset.
  • Those are based on 40 mm + aluminium rims, which are normally pretty heavy (around 650 grams per rim) and not very good in cross winds given the V shape. You might also find them a bit harsh and dead...

I wouldn't bother
    left the forum March 2023
  • dazz_ni45
    Thanks Ugo. Will give them a miss

Is there any handbuilt options that would be equivalent (aesthetically at least) to say the Zipp 30's?

I'm 85kg so need something reasonably robust.
  • Flo 30 wheelset or rims on a custom build.