SRAM Red Cassette

tmg
tmg Posts: 651
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Are SRAM due to update their red 10sp Cassette? Most places seem to have little stock so was wondering if they are due an update, if so I will hold out buying one.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Don't think so when the the existing one is OK and 11 speed is the latest thing.
  • tmg
    Wonder why everywhere seems low on stock then, was looking for 11-28, lots of deals around on other red cassettes but when you look they don't have this and some even mark as discontinued
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Save your money and get the cheaper option. The weight saving is minimal and not worth the extra cash in my opinion. I even use the Shimano cassettes rather than the SRAM ones as they're cheaper again.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    philthy3 wrote:
    Save your money and get the cheaper option. The weight saving is minimal and not worth the extra cash in my opinion. I even use the Shimano cassettes rather than the SRAM ones as they're cheaper again.

I thought the same until I bought and fitted a full Red groupset, the Red cassette is superb with no chain noise due to the inserts.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Aside from unnoticeable the weight penalty, my experience is that the Force cassette performs better than the Red cassette.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    tmg wrote:
    Wonder why everywhere seems low on stock then, was looking for 11-28, lots of deals around on other red cassettes but when you look they don't have this and some even mark as discontinued
    11/28 is very popular at the moment, as mentioned above look at the PG1070 as an alternative it is a very good option IME. When I last looked CRC had the PG1070 11/28 at £40.49.
  • tmg
    Thanks for posts, not concerned with price (although always looking for a deal!) of Red Cassette was just wondering if a change was due as 11-28 seems hard to find so didnt want to buy only to see an upgrade, I've ran other cassettes and as others have already mentioned the Red IME runs a lot smoother and quieter
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The Shimano 105 11/28 is around £20. I use the same cassette on one bike with a KMC chain and Rotor chainrings and it runs quiet enough.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Get a DA cassette. The noise of Red cassettes makes me want to punch babies.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg