2009 Carrera Titan Carbon build

johnsav
johnsav Posts: 775
edited October 2014 in Your mountain bikes
I had a carerra carbon (some of you may remember) back in 2008 for a bit over a year. Was a lovely bike but inevitably I ended up selling the frame off. I've been keeping an eye on eBay for another frame for quite a while but understandably they very rarely appear. That is until a couple of weeks ago when a new and never built 2009 frame came up for sale.
It's mine now and I'm going to build it into a rigid work "hack".

IMG-20141014-WA0016_zps8707c709.jpegy
SO
I had planned an xtr build but thats mega money and my wife would go batty. So the build is going to be XT mechs, Deore crankset, Deore brakes, Deore shifters, Carbon Exotic forks and a Ritchey wheelset.

I got these new style Ritchey bars for my Specialized crave pro a few weeks ago but I'm going try them on this first. Will probably put a flat bar on however.

IMAG2989_zps309018b1.jpg

still waiting on a few bits but this is progress so far. The forks and bars are a rough mock up as there's no headset in yet!

IMAG3044_zps45bf7ca5.jpg

IMAG3051_zps8cff2a1a.jpg

IMAG3050_zps641c62f6.jpg

IMAG3045_zps61cc598e.jpg

IMAG3059_zps8b535f54.jpg

IMAG3060_zps5708377e.jpg

IMAG3060_zps5708377e.jpg

IMAG3062_zps2451c654.jpg

thats it so far. Opinions?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I didn't know Carrera did a carbon frame. Needs some proper tyres, too mice for a road commuter.
  • johnsav
    yeah not many people do to be honest.
    tyres are just some worn ones I had in the shed. Not sure what to put on it yet but will be road orientated as it'll be road riding over the winter.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I keep missing out on the Titan frames.....would love to know what the bare frame weight was if you have it?

You may want to post it in the Carrera HT thread (link in sig)....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • johnsav
    Yeah was 3.2 lb
    Shall add to that thread later
  • The Rookie
    3.2lb or 3lb2oz? Either way it's disappointingly lardy if that was for a completely bare frame!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • johnsav
    You're right mate, I can barely lift it it's so heavy.
    Its a large frame mind, so there you go. Bothered? Nope. I've done the whole weight weenie thing before and it's quite boring to be honest. It's never going to be the lightest bike, but 3.2lb is hardly heavy. Or 3lb 2oz .. whatever it was.
  • johnsav
    Just been thinking, how is 3.2lb lardy? It's roughly 1451 grams. That's pretty keen if you compare it to some very expense high end frame weights.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I nearly bought one of these. The Titan name from carrera has been used for many other models though.
  • johnsav
    yeah true, shame carerra have dropped off the 1k hardtail line.
    doubt it'll ever be seen again what with them owning boardman and the new line of 13 bikes
  • The Rookie
    johnsav wrote:
    Just been thinking, how is 3.2lb lardy? It's roughly 1451 grams. That's pretty keen if you compare it to some very expense high end frame weights.
    Trek Superfly Elite frame is sub 1000g, the common open mould carbon frames circa 1100g and the Whippet circa 1300g, lightweight alloy frames are circa 1200-1300g (Onone Scandal for example). My Carrera Alloy frame is 1735g painted (about 250g less without). On that basis it is Lardy, that said as long as it's what JohnSav wants then it's not a problem.
  • johnsav
    Oh well, thanks for the useful input anyway.
  • The Rookie
    John, Sorry if you think I'm being rude, I wasn't intending to be, the cheaper CF frames of that era tended to be on the heavy side (compared to what is achievable now on a budget), but still lighter than the majority of the alloy frames (which at that time were getting heavier, a 2009 Carrera frame was just under 2Kg and the the 2010 about 2.15Kg). As I said above, as long as it suites what you want then that is important, and they are a nice looking frame for sure. Kind of shame it's going to be used as a commuting hack really!
  • johnsav
    meh,that's ok. Opinions can easily be taken the wrong way on forums.

To be honest I wanted to build this up as a trip down memory lane as much as anything else. Also has that factor of you wont see another one anywhere. It'll be comparatively light and certainly far from heavy so that'll do for me.
    I'll use it over the winter and probably put a proper fork on it next year. I've already got a 29er HT though so maybe not much point.

Anyway, got the shifters on and set up this morning. Also found that a 100mm stem feels better than the 80mm one I bought for it, grr.
    £9.16 for 2 new Avid HS1 discs with bolts delivered. Bargain!
  • Nice looking frame :D