What groupset to add to frame with DA9000 BB?

jon_e00
jon_e00 Posts: 64
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I've currently got a new frame that came with a Dura Ace 9000 bottom-bracket and Ultegra brake callipers. I therefore need to purchase crankset, cassette, derailers, chain and levers. As a complete novice I'm a little unsure what to purchase. I can't afford a full Dura Ace groupset and have roughly £400-£500 to spend. I've looked at Ultegra 6800 and have seen some good prices for new parts. Would there be a problem mixing this with the DA BB? If mixing group sets isn't a problem and I am able to buy a couple of Dura Ace 9000 parts, what should take priority?

Also, I've got Spinergy Stealth PBO wheels. Will the Ultegra 11-speed cassette fit the standard Shimano hub?

Thanks

Comments

• foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    You can fit any Shimano groupset onto any Shimano bb from sora upwards so just ignore the bb and get what you want. the bb is only a £10-£20 part anyway and easily removed/replaced so you should ignore it really and put on whatever you want based on your budget.

I don't know about spinergy hubs, but if they are more than a couple of years old they will most likely be 10 speed only, so that will limit you to tiagra or 5700 105 which are 10 speed unless you can source an older 10 speed ultegra/DA groupset. I suspect you'll need some new wheels too if you want an 11 speed groupset.
  • jon_e00
    foggymike wrote:
    You can fit any Shimano groupset onto any Shimano bb from sora upwards so just ignore the bb and get what you want. the bb is only a £10-£20 part anyway and easily removed/replaced so you should ignore it really and put on whatever you want based on your budget.

I don't know about spinergy hubs, but if they are more than a couple of years old they will most likely be 10 speed only, so that will limit you to tiagra or 5700 105 which are 10 speed unless you can source an older 10 speed ultegra/DA groupset. I suspect you'll need some new wheels too if you want an 11 speed groupset.

Thanks a lot. I'll probably try and get Ultegra 6800 parts and keep the Dura Ace bb.I'm hoping the 11-speed cassette will fit as I've found this info online.... http://www.dhwagencies.com/spinergy-wheels/spinergy-stealth-pbo-carbon-clincher-wheels/#specs
  • By the Spinergy website, the wheels are 10-speed. So no dice on 11-speed groups I'm afraid.

6700 10-speed Ultegra shifters and mech: £244. Chainset £100. 5700 Chain and cassette £38.99. All from Merlin. Should give you a nicely working 10-speed setup for just under £400.

I can't recommend 6800 Ultegra enough, though. £400-420 would get you the bits you need. If you could sell off the wheels and get some 11 speed compatible wheels it'd nearly be worth it.
  • jon_e00
    By the Spinergy website, the wheels are 10-speed. So no dice on 11-speed groups I'm afraid.

6700 10-speed Ultegra shifters and mech: £244. Chainset £100. 5700 Chain and cassette £38.99. All from Merlin. Should give you a nicely working 10-speed setup for just under £400.

I can't recommend 6800 Ultegra enough, though. £400-420 would get you the bits you need. If you could sell off the wheels and get some 11 speed compatible wheels it'd nearly be worth it.

I think I may have to try and shift the wheels? Can I change the hub?
  • It seems there's two versions of the wheels, and the more recent are 11 speed compatible. Perhaps consult the distributor or a mechanic to find out which you have, however...

There appears to be no available freehub to change, so it would require a full rebuild onto a new hub. I wouldn't know off the top of my head if that's physically possible or financially viable. 20-hole rear hubs don't appear to exist in abundance apart from a few very expensive options like the Tune Mag. It's possible a Campagnolo freehub would take an 11-speed Campag cassette, and 11 speed is mostly cross-compatible, but that's not ideal.

Perhaps one of our friendly local wheelbuilders could weigh in on the viability of such an option.
  • jon_e00
    It seems there's two versions of the wheels, and the more recent are 11 speed compatible. Perhaps consult the distributor or a mechanic to find out which you have, however...

There appears to be no available freehub to change, so it would require a full rebuild onto a new hub. I wouldn't know off the top of my head if that's physically possible or financially viable. 20-hole rear hubs don't appear to exist in abundance apart from a few very expensive options like the Tune Mag. It's possible a Campagnolo freehub would take an 11-speed Campag cassette, and 11 speed is mostly cross-compatible, but that's not ideal.

Perhaps one of our friendly local wheelbuilders could weigh in on the viability of such an option.

I'll have to pop to my LBS and see if they can fit a 11-speed cassette. If not then I'll have to see if I can sell them and buy a new set.

Thanks for the info/advice.